A simple quick seafood dish for any day of the week. Tilapia En Papillote is tilapia wrapped in parchment paper and baked in the oven. It can be paired with rice, quinoa, couscous or even bread.
The best part of Tilapia En Papillote is that you can add your own little twist. Whatever veggies you like you can add, or you could keep it simple with just butter and herbs.
A critical thing to remember when you prepare Tilapia En Papillote is the baking time. You want the fish to be flaky and flavorful. So do not overcook.
Ingredients that I added for Tilapia En Papillote
Zucchini and carrots: I used a spiralizer peeler to make thin spirals.
White onion: Thinly sliced. You can choose yellow onion too. I would avoid red onion as it would release color spoiling the look.
Cherry tomatoes: It will add a mild sweetness to the dish.
Mustard Sauce: I chose Maille Old Style Mustard
for texture and flavor.
Salt, butter and lemon wedges: Extremely simple and it’s these three things that brings the dish together.
As it bakes, the butter melts, the lemon wedges soften, and it all mixes with mustard making a lovely sauce.
I am a big fan if Maille Mustard and because my son prefers mustard to any other variety of condiments, we always have a jar of Maille mustard at home. We use in everything that calls for mustard. For this particular one I use Maille Old Style Mustard
How to layer everything in the parchment paper
- Layer the zucchini and carrot spiralizer followed by few onion slices.
- Layer the tilapia and season with salt.
- Spread the mustard sauce on top of the fish. And couple tiny dollops of butter.
- Add few halved cherry tomatoes here and there.
- Finally add couple slices of lemon and seal the parchment paper.
If you don’t have parchment paper, you can use aluminum foil too.
I paired this dish with pearl couscous and added the left over sliced onion, spiralized carrot and zucchini along with some cherry tomatoes. For best flavor, I cooked the couscous in chicken stock.
This post is done in collaboration with Maille US.
Tilapia En Papillote
- Tilapia fillet - 4
- Zucchini - 1
- Carrot - 1
- ½ of a white onion
- cherry tomatoes - 15
- teaspoon butter - 8
- teaspoon salt - 2
- ½ tablespoon Maille Old Style Mustard per fish fillet
- 1 lemon
- Pearl couscous - 1 cup
- 1 and ¼ cup of chicken stock
- olive oil - 1 teaspoon
- Finely chopped cilantro leaves
- Spiralize the zucchini and carrot. Thinly slice the white onion. Halve the cherry tomatoes. Finely chop the cilantro leaves. Few slices of the lemon.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- To prepare the Tilapia En Papillote, layer the veggies on the parchmentnpaper and top it with one fillet of the fish. Sprinkle a good pinch of the salt. Spread the Maille Old Style Mustard on the fish and top it with two teaspoon of butter. Layer couple slices of lemon and tucked in some of the cherry tomatoes. Seal the edges of the parchment paper and place it on a cookie sheet.
- Prepare the remaining three Tilapia En Papillote. Place the cookie sheet in the middle rack of the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the couscous.
- In a pan pour the olive oil and toast the couscous until the color changes to mild golden brown. Pour the chicken stock and let it comes to boil. Then simmer for 12 minutes.
- In a separate skillet, add little oil and cook the white onion along with the remaining spiralized veggies and cherry tomatoes. Then add the cooked pearl couscous and stir it around. Finally add the chopped fresh cilantro and give a toss.
- Serve it warm with Tilapia En Papillote