Whole Roasted Cauliflower is a perfect, easy way to bring a veggie showstopper to your dinner table. Cauliflower, as we all know, is a beautiful canvas to play with flavors and this time, I went with mustard sauce. I roasted the cauliflower in a broth with some shallots and celery. The broth not only added flavor but also cooked the cauliflower to a perfect texture. With some crusty bread on the side, this would be a perfect cozy meal!
The mustard sauce for the Whole Roast Cauliflower
It’s a silky, sweet pungent sauce featuring Mailles Dijon Originale, whisked with olive oil, maple syrup, fresh garlic, salt and pepper. Easy whisk and it’s ready. The sauce makes for a great dip too and I love to add it even in salad.
What goes in the stock for the Whole Roast Cauliflower?
- Veggie Stock
- Few Shallots, cut in half or left whole
- Couple Celery Sticks, chopped bite size
Getting a perfectly done whole roast cauliflower was not easy for me. I made a few attempts in the past and the result was not really that good.
Then, I learnt the trick, which is to roast it covered for most of the time and then continue without the cover to get the color and crust on top.
But, adding a stock in the pan as you roast it makes it even better. It cooks the cauliflower to a lovely buttery texture plus adds flavor.
How to prepare the Whole Roast Cauliflower in Mustard sauce?
- Prepare the mustard sauce.
- Trim the end of the cauliflower so you can make it sit. You could choose to discard the leaves or let it be there.
- Take a pan just big enough to fit the cauliflower. Flip the cauliflower upside down and pour half of the mustard. This is great TRICK to get the sauce all around and not just on top.
- Place the veggie stock in the pan along with the shallots, chopped celery, garlic, salt, pepper and few capers. Place the cauliflower head in the middle and brush a little butter along with the rest of the mustard sauce.
- Cover and bake at 375 F for 50 minutes. Then, remove the cover and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
Toasted Bread crumbs on top!
Breadcrumbs, toasted in butter along with fresh herbs, give a lovely crunch. I made a little bit and added it on top of the whole roasted cauliflower just before serving.
Here are few other recipes you can try with Maille mustard sauce:
My 5 year old is a big fan of mustard sauce and unlike most kids, he always asks for mustard instead of ketchup. So, a couple jars of Maille’s mustard sauce is always stocked up in my pantry. We use this mustard sauce as a dip with roasted veggies/meat and even on salad.
Whole Roasted Cauliflower in Mustard Sauce
- 1 head cauliflower
for the mustard sauce:
- 2 tablespoons Maille Dijon Originale mustard
- 2 cloves garlic (grated)
- 1- teaspoon maple syrup
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1- teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
for the stock:
- 1- cup veggie stock
- 4 shallots (cut in half or left whole based on the size)
- 2 celery sticks (chopped bite size)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1- teaspoon capers
for toasted bread crumbs:
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1- teaspoon butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh finely chopped cilantro
- Prepare the mustard sauce by whisking maple syrup, virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and Dijon mustard.
- For toasted bread crumbs, add the butter in a pan along with the breadcrumbs and finely chopped cilantro leaves. Stir around and toast for 2 minutes. Keep it aside once done.
- Preheat oven 375 F.
- Trim the leaves off the cauliflower and trim the end in a way so that you can make the cauliflower sit properly.
- In an ovenproof dish, pour the stock and add the shallots along with the celery sticks.
- Flip the cauliflower head and pour half the mustard sauce in a way so that it goes deep into the core. Then, flip it and place the cauliflower head in the pan. Rub the butter on the cauliflower head along with the rest of the mustard sauce.
- Cover it loosely with an aluminum foil and bake it for 50 minutes. Then, remove the aluminum foil and roast for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While serving, top it with the toasted breadcrumbs and fresh cilantro leaves.
- Enjoy it warm.