Creamy from the usage of Greek yogurt with freshly prepared spice mix, makes this simple Dahi Gobi a quick any day meal. It's a simple dish with barely any chopping required as the dish doesn't call for onion or garlic. Dishes such as these can be made in bulk as it works great for work lunch box too.
Why you will love this Dahi Gobi
This Dahi Gobi is very minimal with no onion, no garlic, no peas or tomatoes or even potatoes. The key ingredient here is cauliflower, and it shines through.
Since the dish is so simple, you want to give 5 minutes extra in making the fresh spice powder.
With such minimal steps, this Dahi Gobi will make a fantastic weeknight meal.
Ingredients you need
Cauliflower florets - I will recommend using fresh cauliflower florets instead of the frozen ones. You could either steam the cauliflower for a while or microwave in a bowl with water and salt.
Spices - The fresh spice powder is prepared cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cinnamon bark, fenugreek seeds, dry red chili, sesame seeds and black pepper corn. You mix the spice powder with turmeric and chili powder, before adding to the pan.
The combination worked beautifully, and the entire kitchen was smelling so earthy.
Dahi is Yogurt - I will recommend using creamy, thick Greek Yogurt. If you can't find, then use the regular yogurt, but strain it for a while or overnight to remove the excess water.
Yogurt adds a lovely tangy taste to the dish and makes it creamy without adding any cream. If you enjoy seafood, try this Bengali famous dish, doi maach, or the vegetarian dish and one of my fav Doi Begun. Both the dishes are yogurt based gravy.
Cilantro Leaves - Cilantro leaves adds the right amount of refreshing flavor you need in this dish. It is just not for garnish purpose in this dish.
Steps to prepare Dahi Gobi?
- In a heavy bottom skillet, dry roast the spices for a few seconds. Then grind it to a powder consistency.
- In a bowl add the freshly prepared spice powder, turmeric powder and chili powder. Pour water and make a spice paste.
3. Boil the cauliflower florets for a few minutes. You could steam or even microwave boil too. You want the cauliflowers to be crunchy and not mushy.
4. In a pan, heat oil and fry the cauliflower florets for a few minutes, seasoned with salt.
5. Add the spice paste to the cauliflower and stir it around. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the raw flavor of spices are gone. If it starts to stick to the pan, sprinkle a little water.
6. In a bowl, whisk yogurt with a little flour. Whisking with flour is a great hack to avoid the yogurt from curdling when you add in the pan.
7. Add the yogurt to the pan and cook for a few more minutes by stirring.
8. Finally, add cilantro leaves and mix it around. Taste for salt and add more if needed.
I kept the dish very simple, with no onion or garlic. But you can add onion, potatoes and peas too as they all together goes very well.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you will also like the okra dish called Bhindi Masala.
Also try these easy weeknight meal!
Mushroom Chicken Spiced Cauliflower Fried Rice
Phulkopir Aloo Dalna | Bengali Style Cauliflower Potato Curry
Achari Gobi (Cauliflower In Pickled Sauce)
For the fresh spice powder
- ½ teaspoon Fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- Few small pieces Cinnamon barks
- 1 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
- 1 Dry red chili
- 2 teaspoon Sesame seeds
- few Black Peppercorns
- 1 Head of cauliflower
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Chili powder
- ¼ cup Thick Greek Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon All purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp oil
- ¼ cup Finely chopped cilantro leaves
- Boil the cauliflower florets with little salt. You could microwave boil or even steam the florets. You want it to stay crunchy and not get mushy
- To prepare the spice powder, add all the spices mentioned in a pan and dry roast. Then grind it to powder.
- To a bowl add the fresh spice powder along with turmeric powder, chili powder and water to make a thick spice paste.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan and pour the oil. Then scatter the boiled cauliflower florets and fry for 5 minutes, cover with a lid. If you didn't add salt while boiling, then add now.
- After 5 minutes add the spice paste with little water if needed and stir fry in medium low heat until the raw flavor of the spice is gone.
- Whisk yogurt with all purpose flour and add it to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Finally, sprinkle the cilantro leaves and stir it around. Taste for salt and add more if needed.
Its not easy to make cauliflower stir fried. but when i read your instructions and follow them i make very easily this recipe. your blog is very helpful and informative for me. thanks dear i am very impressed with your recipe. keeping post like this post.
I love all the spices you used in this delicious and healthy side dish!