I have a light Indian spiced potato salad for you before we rush out to catch the train. It will be a five-hour journey and we both are quite excited. It’s been ages since either of us travelled by train and it will be Avyan’s first time! Our little one is usually quite a sport at travelling but of late, he started throwing tantrums at every tiny thing. So, you know, we are praying these five hours don’t feel like fifty hours. We are packing enough snacks, some of his toys, loading his favorite videos to the tablet and hoping it will be enough to keep him engaged throughout the train ride.
I always like to clear as much fresh produce as possible before any trips, even if it’s just 4 days. The baby potatoes clearly wouldn’t have lasted till next week. Roasted smashed potatoes are quite an addictive snack on their own. And when you toss in some boiled potatoes, vibrant green peas and flavors it up, it turns into a perfect quick lunch!
Unlike the creamy mayonnaise boiled potato salad, which I absolutely love and can eat everyday, this is a much lighter version enhanced with some Indian spices and herbs. Fresh curry leaves with garlic is one of my favorite flavors to blend especially when I am pan-frying or roasting something.
Crispy potatoes with soft eggs and sweet peas make a mouthful blend of texture. You can surely experiment with your choice of herbs and spices. Just squeeze some fresh lime juice at the end for that refreshing smack!
- 500 gram baby potatoes, boiled and smashed gently
- 3 boiled eggs, thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas, blanched
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ cup fresh curry leaves
- ¼ cup of melon seeds
- ¼ cup melon seeds, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C.
- Blend garlic with half of the fresh curry leaves. Mix it with a couple tablespoons of oil, cumin powder and coriander powder. Toss it lightly with the smashed potatoes. Layer it in a baking pan and roast for about 30 minutes, turning once after 15 minutes. It should be crispy on the outside and tender inside.
- Pan roast the melon seeds until mild golden color.
- Layer the sliced eggs with roasted smashed potatoes in a serving bowl and scatter the blanched frozen peas on top.
- Heat some oil in a small pan and drop few fresh curry leaves. Be very careful, as it will splatter. Squeeze half of the fresh lime into the hot oil and drizzle the whole thing on the salad.
- Scatter some of the pan-roasted melon seeds and squeeze some more fresh lime juice. Serve warm.