Crispy aromatic, very mildly spiced, these Air Fried Kurkuri Bhindi are highly addictive and goes great as a snack or side dish. These Kurkuri Bhindi are gluten-free and vegan. While I love the deep oil fried version of the crispy okra, the air fried option is definitely healthy and much quicker too.
If you are someone who doesn't like okra because of its slimy texture, you definitely should give this dish a try. It will change your mind and make you eat more okra.
Air Fried Kurkuri Bhindi
I made this Kurkuri Bhindi for the first time when I was writing my cookbook. The recipe in my book calls for frying the spice coated okra. And while I absolutely love deep fried occasionally, on a regular basis, we need to find a healthier option.
Not all fried food turns out good when you use an air fryer or oven. But some dishes transforms beautifully, like this crispy okra dish.
Rice Flour - You can use chickpea flour too! I just like to use rice flour for such kind of fried veggie dishes.
Semolina - Semolina adds a lovely crunch in addition to the rice flour.
Nigella seeds - This is just because my Bengali taste bud often reaches out to nigella seeds when it comes to fried veggies.
Fennel Seeds - You can use cumin seeds instead, but fennel adds a perfumy sweet aroma to the kurkuri bhindi.
Apart from these, I added turmeric powder for color and chili powder for mild heat.
LIST OF OKRA DISHES TO TRY
FEW KEYNOTES ?
Look for bright green okras that will easily snap off at the tip like fresh green beans!
Depending on the size of the okra, you can slice either in half or quarter.
Once you marinate the okra with the rice flour mixture, keep it aside for 15 minutes for the flavors to enhance.
When you air fry or bake, make sure to turn it half way, so it cooks and turns crispy evenly.
Reheating Kurkuri Bhindi
DO NOT microwave heat. It will turn soggy. The best way to reheat left over crispy okra is by placing it back in the oven or air frier and 400F for about 3 minutes.
Few Serving Suggestions
I love these kurkuri bhindi with rice and dal, typical Bengali style.
These are amazing with chill beer.
Kids, who don't like okra, will definitely enjoy this crispy version. Makes a great healthy snack with some ketchup on the side.
Add in your rice/quinoa/couscous dinner bowl for tasty veggie addition.
Kurkuri Bhindi (Crispy Okra) air fried is a healthy, delicious side dish that is so effortless to put together from start to finish. Make it in small batches and prepare it right before serving, as these tastes best freshly prepared warm and crispy.
Kurkuri Bhindi AIR FRIED
- 10 oz okras
- ½ cup rice flour
- 2 tablespoons semolina
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Make sure you clean and pat dry the okra. I wash the okras previous night.
- Slit the okra is half or quarter based on the size of the okra.
- In a mixing bowl or plate, add the rice flour, semolina, nigella seeds, fennel seeds, turmeric, chili powder, salt and sugar.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil and add water little by little to make a thick batter to coat the okras. I used little less than ½ cup water.
- Then mix it around with the sliced okra and leave aside for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the Air Fryer to 400 F
- Once it's ready, brush a little oil on the crisper tray/plate and layer the okras. Air fry for 8 minutes and toss the okras to turn it around and bake Air fry for 8 more minutes.
- Enjoy the kurkuri bhindi right away with your choice of dip or sides.
You can just look at these and know that the crunch would be deafening, just like they should be. Even though I'm not an okra fan (mainly due to the texture), I think that would change that as well as as provide a remarkable flavor in the mouth that last forever. These look so good!!