Crispy spice coated baked smashed potatoes along with some boiled eggs and boiled peas! It makes a great appetizer with some chill drinks or enjoy it as a meal with grilled meat or veggies. It’s extremely effortless and a great way to use baby potatoes.
Fluffy on the outside and crispy outside, Baked Smashed Potatoes are a treat!
All you need to do for the Baked Smashed Potatoes are:
Boil – Takes about 15 minutes
Smash – You can use a masher or use bottom of a glass. My Dad would just smash with his hand.
Add the spices – It’s a great blank canvas to play with spices and flavors.
Bake – 425 F for 15 minutes on each side. You can simultaneously also pan fry it on the stove top.
A dish cannot get any easier than this!
Spices I used
- Garlic powder
- Paprika powder
- Oregano powder
I also used parmesan cheese at the end for the salty cheesy taste.
Often smashed potatoes are serves as is, but I really like to add some boiled eggs and boiled peas to the platter. It adds a color pop, different texture and the combination works perfectly.
The Baked Smashed Potatoes comes out so crispy and smells so good. I like to use sour cream dip. The tangy sour cream works perfectly with the crispy spice coated potatoes.
When I started my gardening adventure just before the lockdown, I had planted some baby potatoes from my pantry that started to grow roots. I didn’t have much hope but then last week, I harvested close to 2 lbs. of baby potatoes. As a rookie gardener our excitement was at heights!
I made a simple stir-fried side dish with the super tiny ones and use the slightly bigger ones for the Baked Smashed Potatoes. These were hit and tastes best when hot. We couldn't stop munching and the spices gave a lovely flavor.
Baked Smashed Potatoes
- 1 lb baby potatoes
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 2 tablespoons oregano powder
- 2 tablespoon oil
- Freshly grated black pepper
- Grated parmesan cheese
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- ¼ cup boiled green peas
- Boil the baby potatoes with 1 tablespoon salt. Boil for 15 minutes or until you can easy poke it with a knife or fork.
- Drain the potatoes once done in a colander and then layer it on a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a baking silpat layered on it.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F
- In a bowl mix the spices with the oil.
- Smash the individual potatoes gently using a masher or bottom of a glass. Sprinkle little oil and then brush the spice it on the smashed potatoes on both the sides.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip the potatoes and bake for 15 more minutes.
- Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese on top and bake for 2 minutes.
- To serve, layer the baked smashed potatoes, slice the boiled eggs and layer in between. Scatter the boiled green peas. Grate more parmesan cheese, crack black peppers and squeeze some lemon juice.
- Enjoy it right away with your choice of dip.