Strawberry chia jam is a healthy homemade jam that takes barely 10 minutes to prepare. Chia seeds not only adds goodness to the jam, but it also helps to thicken the jam.
You can some fresh herbs like thyme or rosemary for extra flavor. You can also add vanilla essence.
I kept it simple with just strawberry and sugar. You can add honey too or your choice of sweetener.
Because this Strawberry Chia jam is so easy to make and is super quick, I prefer to make in small batch. You can use any other variety of berries too.
Ingredients you need
Fresh strawberry - Look for good quality fresh strawberries. Don't use any frozen or canned strawberries to make this jam.
Honey or Sugar - Depending on how sweet the strawberries are, you can choose either honey or sugar as a sweetener. You can go for agave or coconut sugar.
Chia Seeds - A very small quantity of chia seed is added while making the jam.
If you don't have chia seeds, you can still make this instant jam by just cooking down the strawberries. It will not be very thin, it will be like compote that you can use with pancakes or waffles.
Different ways to use the Jam?
Steps to prepare Strawberry Chia Jam
- Slice the strawberries instead of blending it. Blending will turn it into a purée like texture. Sliced strawberries will cook into a thick jam like texture.
- Place the strawberries in a pan with water and sugar/honey. Cook in low heat by stirring constantly.
- After 7 minutes or so, the berries would have broken down. Check for sweetness and add more if needed.
- Finally, add the chia seeds and mix it around. Leave it aside for a couple of hours to thicken.
- Once it cooled down completely, store in a clean, dry jar. It is better to store in the refrigerator.
Keep in mind that as the jam sits in the refrigerator, it will thicken a bit more.
Yes, you can make the same kind of jam with any variety of berries. You can also make it with pineapple and grapes.
The jam has no preservatives and hence won't last too long. I would suggest make small batches and finish within two or three weeks.
Chia seeds packed with omega-3 fatty acids, rich in fiber and protein, and it helps to thicken the Jam.
Strawberry Chia Compote
- 16 oz. fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoon Honey/sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- Roughly chop the strawberries and drop it in a pan along with honey and water. Bring it to a boil and in about few minutes, once the fruit starts to break down, taste for sweetness and add more honey, if required.
- Switch off the heat and add chia seeds to it. Give it a mix and allow it rest for a few hours for it to thicken.
- Once it’s cooled down completely, you could put it in an airtight jar and store in the fridge for a couple of weeks. The compote will thicken a bit more overnight.