When Kaju Katli hugs chocolate fudge, you get Kaju Chocolate Barfi. It’s fudgy, rich and it’s definitely an indulgence you want to try. With very minimal ingredients, this delicious fudgy Kaju Chocolate Barfi comes together very effortlessly.
The non-traditional Kaju Chocolate Barfi
Typically for authentic Barfi, you will need good quality whole milk powder that is cooked with butter and whole milk until it thickens. The texture turns out soft and melting in mouth.
Unlike the traditional barfi, these Kaju Chocolate Barfi is fudgy. There is no milk powder in this recipe. It a fun nontraditional Diwali treat, and loved by kids. It can make a lovely addition to your Diwali gift box.
I used some colorful candy melts and sprinkles on top to make it more colorful. The pipping work turned out shabby but my little one loved it. Chocolates makes him very happy and he loves Kaju Katli just as much.
Ingredients you need
For Kaju Katli (Cashew Fudge Layer)
Cashew : Cashew is expensive and for this recipe, I used 2 cups of cashew. Few Indian stores sells, cashew in two variety. The whole cashews and broken bits separately. Often the packet with broken bits are less expensive.
Since you will be making cashew powder, just go for the packet with broken bits.
Sugar: The cashew powder is cooked in light sugar syrup and only white granulated sugar is used. For this recipe you cannot replace with brown sugar or honey.
Ghee: I prefer to use homemade ghee for the best flavor. Here is a link on how to make ghee.
Cardamom: Cardamom powder is used for flavor. I use the whole cardamoms and grind it in my spice grinder to make a powder.
For Chocolate Fudge
Chocolate Chips: Mix of milk and dark chocolate chips: I used mostly dark chocolate as it doesn’t feel overly sweet. But you can use just milk chocolate too.
Condensed milk : Please don’t use evaporated milk or heavy cream. The fudgy texture comes best from condensed milk.
Salt: A pinch of salt is a must.
I didn’t use any flavor here. You can use rose water if you want or vanilla essence.
Making the chocolate fudge is super easy and quick. The Cashew Fudge which is basically Kaju Katli does takes a little time. So, prepare the Kaju Katli first.
Kaju Katli is a favorite Diwali mithai and quite easy to put together once you get the cashew powder ready. This Diwali I wanted to change it up by adding the layer of chocolate fudge on top.
The candy melts added a bright colorful touch to the barfi, but you can skip that and add some dried rose petals on top or edible silver leaves. You can also choose to add more nuts if you like. I hope you will try these nontraditional barfi this festive season!
Kaju Chocolate Barfi
- RECIPE LINK FOR KAJU KATLI / CASHEW FUDGE is given below in the recipe
for chocolate fudge
- 10 oz chocolate chips
- 14 ounce condensed milk (1 can)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Layer a 8 inch by 8 inch brownie pan or any other container with parchment paper.
- Prepare the Kaju Katli first ( here is the link to the recipe ) Once done, layer it on the pan and press it done to flatten it.
- To prepare the fudge, pour the condensed milk to a nonstick pan along with the chocolate chip and salt.
- Now keep the heat to medium low heat and keep stirring for the chocolate chips to melt and mix with the condensed milk.
- Once it's all melted and incorporated, pour it on top of the kaju katli layer and spread it aorund to level it flat.
- Once it's set, I microwave the candy melts, poured on pipping bags and added some design on top along with sprinkles.