This Tomato Rosemary Focaccia bread is for your carb indulgence. It’s crispy on the outside, soft chewy inside and packed with robust flavor. I added cherry tomatoes, fresh rosemary and rosemary infused oil. Focaccia bread is great bread to enjoy with soup on the side, slice and use as sandwich or even with some cheese and wine.
What is Focaccia Bread?
Focaccia is easy bread to bake, even for beginners! This Tomato Rosemary Focaccia requires almost no kneading at all and just a little wait time for the dough to rise.
You then flattened the dough on a sheet pan or a cake pan and poked it all around. This is the most satisfying part of baking focaccia.
Drizzle a good doze of olive oil on top of the focaccia bread and then top it with your choice of ingredients.
Ingredients for Tomato Rosemary Focaccia Bread
I made rosemary and garlic infused olive oil, which completely elevates the flavor of this focaccia bread. A good quality olive oil is a must when baking this bread. A big dose of olive oil is drizzled on top before baking which creates the golden crust besides adding to the flavor.
Cherry tomatoes not only give a pretty look but also add a lovely sweet bite to the bread.
I also used fresh rosemary and some sliced garlic on top.
All-purpose flour is the preferred choice for this bread, but you can use whole wheat flour too. Just keep in mind that whole wheat flour will make the texture a little dense.
I used active dry yeast along with sugar and warm water to make the dough. You can replace sugar with honey.
Salt is a key ingredient to good tasty bread. I added it while making the dough and then, also sprinkled on top before baking.
Can you make the dough in advance?
YES! Do the first rise in the kitchen counter, then cover in a greased bowl and let slow-rise the second time in the refrigerator overnight.
How to serve this Tomato Rosemary Focaccia Bread?
It’s best served warm, fresh out of the oven. Don’t reheat focaccia bread in the microwave. Instead, warm it in a preheated oven jut for 5 minutes or so.
You can serve it with stew, soup, slice the bread in half and make sandwich or make croutons and add it in salad. It’s even great with some cheese on the side.
Here are a few recipe suggestions that you might like for pairing with the bread.
Even if you never baked bread before, I would suggest you give this easy bread recipe a try!
Focaccia Bread with tomato rosemary lemon
- 1 cup warm water (just warm enough for you to dip your finger comfortably)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- ¼ cup rosemary infused Olive Oil
- Few more rosemary to add on top
- 3 garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 10 to 12 cherry tomatoes
- Prepare the Rosemary garlic Infused Oil
- Take some luke warm water in a glass. Mix sugar and yeast to the warm water and then, cover the glass. In 5 minutes, the yeast should activate, and you should see a thick layer form on top. If you don’t see that, the yeast didn’t active. Discard and try again.
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour and salt and give it a mix. Pour the yeast water and give a mix. You don't have to knead but make sure there are no dry flour left. Cover the bowl and leave aside for 1 hour.
- After an hour, the dough would have turned softer. Using the technique of folding the dough, fold the dough a few times. This will create lovely crumbs to the bread and the technique helps to develop the gluten without kneading it. You can watch my NO KNEAD BREAD VIDEO to understand this step better.
- Cover the dough and leave it aside for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, take a cookie sheet or a baking pan and pour some of the infused olive oil. Then drop the dough and give a few fold once again. Cover and leave aside for an hour.
- After an hour or two the dough would have flattened and spread. Preheat the oven to 400 F
- Pour rest of the oil and rub some oil in your hand and poke all around the dough. Layer the sliced garlic, sliced tomatoes and few rosemary.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the top looks golden brown.
- Let it cool down a bit and slice the bread.
- Enjoy it fresh!