I am keeping it cozy and simple with this Chicken Artichoke Spinach Creamy Skillet! A quick sizzle, a little sauté and this one pan meal comes together effortlessly. Fresh spinach, artichoke hearts and perfectly browned chicken thighs with some mild spices, blended together beautifully with a little cream. Pair this chicken creamy skillet with crusty bread to soak up all that creamy gravy, or go low carb and use cauliflower rice.
Few key notes about this Chicken Creamy Skillet:
Depending on what kind of chicken piece you are using, you will have to increase or decrease the cooking time. I used chicken thigh, boneless and skinless, which barely takes any time to cook. Chicken thigh has more fat content (good fats) that keep it moist and tender as compared to the lean breast.
If you are using chicken breast, keep in mind that chicken breast cooks much faster than chicken thigh.
I left the artichoke hearts into big bite size but you could always chop it finely to blend it with the spinach and creamy gravy.
It’s been a few days since we have gone low carb. We are avoiding rice completely, which is not easy for this Bengali girl. Also, we are cutting down on bread. Not going completely off as I am not good with restricted diet but consciously watching the portions that we consume. A very good thing about this low carb meal challenge is that I get to create these new recipes like cauliflower rice and keto bread. It’s a fun learning for me and I hope to share more such recipes with you.
A vegetarian version!
You can use firm tofu or paneer cut into big chunks. Marinate with the same spices that I used in chicken. You could also use Portobello mushroom.
When a great meal comes together in less than 30 minutes, it’s a keeper!
Chicken Artichoke Spinach Creamy Skillet
- 6 chicken thighs (boneless and skinless)
- 1- teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1- teaspoon paprika
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 small lemon thinly sliced
- 6 artichoke hearts (canned, sliced in half)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 oz/140 g fresh spinach
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Marinate the chicken with salt, lemon pepper and paprika.
- Place a heavy bottom skillet on medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and once it’s melted, layer the chicken pieces and let it cook for 5 minutes on each side (the chicken would be pretty much cooked through by now). Take the chicken off the pan and keep it aside to used later.
- To the same pan, add 1 tablespoon of butter and chopped garlic. Stir it around and scrape the brown bits in the process. Add the spinach and chicken stock. Toss it around and cook for 1 minute.
- Layer the artichoke hearts and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour the cream, mix it around and let it simmer for 2 minutes.
- Layer the browned chicken and the lemon slices. Cook for 3 more minutes. Check for salt and add any, if needed.
- Serve warm.