Mildly spiced, a little zingy in taste, this Spiced Shredded Chicken Wrap is great for a quick weeknight meal and work lunchbox too! I prepared it using pre cooked rotisserie chicken, which makes it such a quick meal. Don’t miss the VIDEO to see how easy it is.
With my husband back to in person work, I have to come up with quick lunch box ideas not only for my kiddo but also for the hubby. He loves wraps, noodles and sandwiches, something that is easy to grab and eat at work.
I never used to buys rotisserie chicken that frequently as I do now. It takes a little time to remove all the meat, but then the week meal happens so effortlessly when you have some cooked chicken ready to be used.
This is the first recipe I am sharing using rotisserie chicken, and expect more to show up soon.
Ingredients I used in the Spiced Shredded Chicken
Pre-cooked shredded chicken – I used rotisserie chicken
Garlic and butter – Almost any delicious sauce needs both garlic and butter to make it flavor boost and rich.
For the sauce:
Hot Sauce – I used sriracha sauce, you can use any other variety of hot sauce too.
White Vinegar – You can use soy sauce too, but white vinegar adds a milder zing and I wanted to taste of the hot sauce to shine.
Worcestershire sauce – This sauce is one of my favorite to add in any such spicy sauce. Just a little bit is enough to bring out the savoriness to the sauce.
Maple Syrup – Some kind of sweetener helps to balance the flavor of the sauce. You can add sugar or honey or agave too.
Cayenne pepper – I wanted to make it tad bit of heat. Totally optional!
You don’t need to add any salt to the sauce as the hot sauce and the Worcestershire sauce already has salt in it.
The spiced shredded chicken is a great option to prepare in advance as part of your meal plan. I often make extra and store in the refrigerator. It stays good for 2 to 3 days.
You can use this spiced chicken in sandwich too.
HERE IS THE VIDEO of the SHREDDED CHICKEN WRAP
Other elements in the wrap
Avocado Mayo – To balance the heat of the spiced shredded chicken, I made a mix of avocado with lemon juice and mayo. It not only added a creamy element to the wrap, but also helped to balance the heat.
Lettuce – I used butter lettuce, you can use any other variety too. You can also use baby spinach or assorted salad greens.
Pickled Onion – I always have a bottle of pickled onion in my refrigerator to add in sandwiches in wraps. Here is the link to the recipe. It’s very easy and you must try.
Mozzarella cheese – You can use any other variety of cheese or discard it completely.
Flour Tortilla – I like to use flour tortilla for these wraps, but you can use any other variety of flat bread too.
Can you prepare this Shredded Chicken Wrap with raw chicken ?
You can shred chicken from cooked chicken, and you can either use store bought pre cooked chicken or cook the chicken at home.
To prepare shredded chicken, you can either poach the chicken breast or chicken thigh in chicken broth and once it is cooked, cool it down and then using two forks shred the chicken.
Simultaneously, you can also use an electric pot. Here is a recipe of Chicken Burrito Bowl where I showed how to make flavorful shredded chicken using an electric pot.
How long can you store rotisserie chicken in the refrigerator.
I have stored for 5 to 6 days in a clean dry air tight container. But don’t go by my word as it depends on a lot of the refrigerator, the weather situation where you live etc.
If the chicken smells mildly sour, just discard. It’s definitely gone bad.
This Spiced Shredded Chicken Wrap has become a regular in my house now, and I often pack it for my husband’s lunch box. The sauce is a keeper and if you are a vegetarian but do try it with tofu or grated paneer.
Spiced Shredded Chicken Wrap
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce or any hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded pre cooked chicken – I used rotisserie chicken
- 2 big size flour tortillas
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup shredded chicken
For Avocado Mayo
- 1 avocado
- a little bit of lemon juice
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise
Optional filling for the wrap
- pickled onion
- grated cheese
- Mix all the ingredients under the sauce in a bowl or cup.
- Finely chop the garlic.
- Place a heavy bottom skillet in medium heat and add the butter. Once it melts, add the garlic and stir it around for few seconds. Then pour the sauce carefully and stir it around. Let it simmer for 2 minutes.
- Then add the pre-cooked shredded chicken and mix it around. Let it cook for 3 minutes to reduce the sauce.
- The spiced shredded chicken is ready, and you can either make the wrap once it cools down a little bit or store it in the refrigerator to be used in the next few days.
- When you are ready to prepare the wrap, mix the avocado with lemon juice and mayo. Layer it on the edge of the tortilla as shown in the video. Then layer the lettuce leaf, add the spiced shredded chicken, pickled onion and cheese.
- Fold the tortilla into a wrap and seal the edges tight by heating it gently on a hot skillet brushed with little oil.
- Let it cook down a little bit then slice in half.