Warm Soya Kadhi on a bowl of steamed white rice is the ultimate comfort food. Adding soya nuggets instead of fried pakoras, not only makes the dish quick, but also healthy! Soya Kadhi has become a regular in my house and my little one enjoys too.
What is Soya Kadhi ?
To break it down, soya refered to the soya chunks (high protein dry nuggets) and kadhi is a delicious yogurt based gravy.
Soya kadhi is yet another version of the famous Gujrathi Kadhi Chawal.
The gravy is the regular yogurt and chickpea flour base, creamy thick and so tasty. And Soya chunks or nuggets are the healthy alternative to pakodas/ fritters that are typically added to this dish.
I didn’t grow up eating kadhi and learnt the dish only after my met Arvind, who loved Kadhi chawal any time of the year. I didn’t like it the very first time I made it because I had made it all wrong.
But then I learned the dish and 10 years now since I make this dish, and it’s a fav in our house.
During peak summer months, I sometime make the gravy and enjoy as cold soup. The yogurt base gravy is just so soothing to the palate and light on the tummy.
What is Soya Chunks in Soya Kadhi?
If you have lived in India, then chances are you are familiar with Nutrella Soya Nuggets. A healthy alternative to meat that is packed with protein.
These are also called Meal Maker and made from soya beans.
These are made into dehydrated chunks that on it's own has no flavor. But once your rehydrate these nuggets, it becomes a lovely canvas to soak in whatever flavor you add to it.
Nutrella Soya Chunks are extreamly popular in India and is used to make various different curries and pillaf.
How to cook with Soya Nuggets?
You have to start by soaking the nuggets in hot water. I also add some salt. In about 30 minutes, these nuggets absors water and turns into sponge.
KEY NOTE when preparing Soya Kadhi:
Two very important points to remember when cooking with yogurt.
FIRST: Make sure you whisk the yogurt to a creamy texture. So in this case make sure you whisk the yogurt and chickpea based gravy nicely so there are no lumps.
SECOND: Always cook in medium low heat. If you cranck up the heat than the yogurt might curdle and the entire curry will be spoilt.
This Soya Kadhi barely takes any effort to prepare and because I kept it so minimal, the cooking time is also very less.
Kadhi Chawal tastes best when served pipping hot. It is comforting, healthy and warms you up inside out!
Try Kadhi Chawal with Besan Pakoda (Chickpea Fritters)
Recipes with Soya Nuggets
Soya Kadhi Recipe
- 2 cups soya chunks
- 1 small red onion
- fresh ginger about 1 inch
- 1 and ½ cup yogurt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 chili powder
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 1 tablepsoon oil
- 1 tablepsoon ghee
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 dry red chilies
- ½ teapsoon asafetida (hing)
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- handful of curry leaves
- Soak the dry soya nuggets in hot water with a sprinkle of salt. Leave it aside for 30 minutes
- In the mean time, prep the yogurt gravy base.
- In a bowl add the yogurt, water, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon chili powder and the chickpea flour. Whisk into a smooth consistency without any lumps.
- Grate the ginger and thinly slice the red onion.
- After the soya chunks have rehydrated, start preparing the kadhi. In a heavy bottom pan or wok, pour the oil.
- Once the oil gets hot, sprinkle the cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Scatter the sliced onion and stir it aorund for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the excess water out of the softened soya chunks and add it to the wok. Stir it around.
- Then add rest of the salt and turmeric. Toss it around and cook for 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the asafetida and grated ginger.
- Mixed it around and then pour the whisked yogurt that was kept aside and stir it around.
- Let it simmer in medium low heat for 10 minutes. Taste and add salt if needed.
- For the tadke, in a small pan add the ghee. Sprinkle the cumin seeds, asafetida, chili powder, dry red chili and curry leaves. Stir it around to sizzle for few seconds then take it off the pan.
- Serve the soya kadhi on a serving bowl and drizzle the tadka on top.
- Enjoy hot with steamed white rice.