There are a few ingredients which always pair effortlessly. When you put them together, the outcome will always be delicious. You just know it! Whenever I bake a cake, it never has frosting or layers. So, I always try to pick some winning flavor combinations. Chocolate with Raspberry, Banana with Nutella, Carrot with Cardamom, Honey with fresh Figs and this time, Honey with fresh Thyme! The subtle minty flavor of fresh thyme and perfume honey makes the cake smell absolutely divine. And just to make the honey thyme bundt cake extra flavorful, I added ghee (clarified butter).
Ghee (clarified butter) is one of our favorite things to drizzle on a hot plate of food, flat breads and even on sweet puddings. Our boy loves ghee so much that every time I take out the jar, he will come running with a spoon for a quick taste.
My Mom would always bake the cake with oil. I too stayed on the same path and avoided butter, whenever I could. This time, I tried using clarified butter and the result was this robust nutty flavor which blended so beautifully with honey and thyme. However, the texture of the cake was not as moist as I was hoping for. So, I had to make some honey and thyme syrup to drizzle on top. Of course, the syrup not only added moistness but also enhanced the beautiful flavor.
Honey and Thyme Bundt Cake
- ½ cup clarified butter
- ½ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
for the syrup
- 3 tablespoons honey
- few thyme leaves
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 176C / 350F and oil an 8-inch bundt cake pan.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, sugar and thyme leaves in a bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk clarified butter with 2 eggs until it’s smooth. Then, add honey to it and give it another whisk. Pour this wet mixture to the dry ingredients bowl and whisk. Next, add milk and whisk it again.
- Pour the cake batter to the oiled bundt cake pan and bake it for about 50 minutes or until the cake is cooked through. Insert a knife or a toothpick and if it comes out clean, it’s ready.
- Allow the pan to cool down and then flip it on a cake stand or a plate.
- For the syrup, add honey, water and thyme leaves in a saucepan. Give it a stir and allow it cook for a couple of minutes.
- Drizzle the warm syrup on the cake and serve.