Tostadas are basically crispy, open-faced Taco that you can top with whatever protein you like along with salsa and sauce to bring it all together. This Chicken Tostadas was my way to use up some left-over grilled chicken and the first mango that I had bought this summer. The mango was not sweet and so salsa was all I could think. Hence a Mexican feast was in order with this Chicken Tostadas and Jalapeno Poppers (will share the recipe soon)
What are tostadas?
Tostadas is a Mexican dish that uses deep fried tortilla, topped with meat or vegetables and beans.
To avoid deep fried food, I bake the corn tortillas. It turns out crispy and stays crispy for several days. Tostadas are lovely blank canvas to add in your favorite toppings. Vegetarian or non-vegetarian!
Just brush oil on the corn tortillas and layer in a cookie sheet. Bake at 400F for 6 minutes on each side.
Comes out perfectly crispy!
Ingredients for Chicken Tostadas:
Canned Red kidney beans
Left over grilled chicken
You don’t have to stick to these ingredients only. Choose what you have in pantry/ refrigerator and customize it accordingly.
The KEY thing about any Tostadas recipe is to have that perfect crispy texture of the corn tortillas.
The Mango Salsa
It was a quick mix of ripe mangoes with red onions, cilantro, lemon juice and salt. A quick mix and it was ready. The Manga salsa gave a mild sweetness which I really liked with the chicken.
I used leftover grilled chicken that I tossed with some onion, taco spice mix and the canned beans. It was quick one and needed almost no work. You can use some other spices too.
You can make guacamole if you like, but since I had mango salsa, I just sliced the avocadoes and added on top.
In terms of cheese, it would have been great if I had Queso Fresco, Cojita or any variety of Mexican cheese. All I had some shredded mozzarella and use that.
Unlike Taco, eating Chicken Tostadas can get messy. It’s a casual dish with a lovely balance of texture and layers. If you haven’t tried before, you absolutely should. I prefer using mini tortillas as it’s easy to grab and bite. Also makes it easy for kids.
I always stock tortillas, flour and corn varying different sizes for different purpose. I use it quite often as a quick wrap, or chips but Chicken Tostadas is something I don’t make that often. In my opinion Tostadas are a great party food too.
- 8 mini corn tortillas
- One chicken breast I used leftover grilled chicken
- canned red kidney beans - 1 cup
- 1 small red onion
- 2 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon taco spice mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 avocados
- Shredded cheese
- 3 tablespoons oil
for mango salsa
- 1 ripe mango not over ripe
- ½ of a small red onion
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Finely chopped cilantro leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400 F
- Brush the corn tortillas with little oil and layer it on the cookie sheet. Sprinkle little salt and bake for 6 minutes. Then flip the tortillas and bake for 6 more minutes.
- Once done, layer it on the wired rack to cool it completely.
- Chop the grilled breast chicken into bite size. Drain the canned beans in a colander and give it a wash.
- Place a cast iron pan or any heavy bottom pan in medium heat. Pour the 1 tablespoon oil along with the sliced garlic. Let it sizzle for few seconds, then drop the beans on the hot pan. Don’t stir it immediately. Layer it and let it sizzle for 1 minute. Then sprinkle the salt and give a toss. Then add the taco spice mix, and the chicken. Toss it around and cook for 2 minutes. Check for salt and add any if needed. Keep aside once done.
- To prepare the mango salsa, add chopped mango with finely chopped onion, cilantro, salt and lemon juice.
- To serve the Chicken Tostadas, spread little sour cream on the baked crispy tortillas, spoon little bit of the chicken and beans. Top that with mango salsa, bit more sour cream, slices of avocado and then some cheese.
- Enjoy right away!