Aloo Gobi or Aloo Gobhi is one of the best weeknight side dish. A quick stir fried vegetarian side dish, and it goes well with rice and daal or paratha. I prepare this dish in several ways, and today I am sharing the semi dry no onion, no garlic Aloo Gobi.
No Onion No Garlic Aloo Gobi
Aloo Gobi literary translating to potato cauliflower is a famous stir fried side dish. You can add onion, garlic and tomato, the usual combo that goes in most Indian dishes.
Or, keep it utterly simple with no onion and no garlic.
And since I had less chopping to do for the dish, I decided to make fresh spice mix for the Aloo Gobi sabzi. Fresh prepared spice mix always enhances the flavor of the dish.
What spice paste I made for the Aloo Gobi
Dry roast cumin seeds, coriander seeds and fennel seeds. Then grind the roasted spices and mix it with chili powder and turmeric powder.
Add little water to make the spice paste.
For dishes where I don't add any onion or tomatoes, I like to make the spice paste with water, so the spices can cook without getting burnt.
KEY NOTES on how to prepare the Aloo Gobi Recipe
This is one of the simplest side dish, and it is very effortless to prepare. Yet, it comes out very delicious.
An IMPORTANT POINT to remember here is that you want to keep the potato and cauliflower of similar size, so it cooks evenly at the same time.
Also, after washing the diced potatoes, let it soak in water for 15 minutes. It will wash off all the excess starch and cook the potatoes without getting mushy or sticky.
I like to keep the diced cauliflower and potatoes, not too big, so it cooks faster.
As for the cauliflower stalks and greens, don't discard! Make this delicious healthy stir fried dish.
Here are the steps:
The detailed recipe is in the recipe card below, and don't miss the video. But here are the quick steps.
Slice the cauliflower florets and give it a wash. Then dice the potatoes, and after washing, soak it in water for 10 minutes.
In the meantime, prepare the spice paste that I mentioned earlier.
In a heavy bottom skillet or pan, heat oil and add cumin seeds.
Then add the ginger and fresh green chili paste and let it sizzle
Then cook the cauliflower and potatoes with the spice paste.
I like to end the dish with some kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) and fresh cilantro leaves for the refreshing flavor.
Enjoy this simple side dish with either paratha or rice and daal.
Aloo Gobi (No Onion No Garlic)
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 medium size potatoes
- 1 ½ teaspoons coriander seeds
- 3 teaspoons cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1 green chili
- 1 tablespoon kasuri methi
- Few sprigs of cilantro leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 and ½ teaspoon salt or more as per taste.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Slice the cauliflower florets. Don't discard the greens. You can make a delicious stir fried dish. Here is the link
- Peel and dice the potatoes into similar size of the cauliflower florets.
- Wash both separately and then soak the diced potatoes in water for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the spice paste in the meantime. In a pan at medium heat, dry roast 1 and ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, coriander seeds and fennel seeds for few seconds, until you smell the aroma and the color of the seeds darkens a little.
- Then grind the roasted spice coarsely and pour it to a bowl. To the spice mix add turmeric and Kashmiri chili powder. Pour little water and make a spice paste.
- Grind the ginger and green chili.
- In a heavy bottom pan, pour the oil, sprinkle the rest of the cumin seeds and then add the ginger chili paste. Stir it around for a few seconds.
- Then scatter the cauliflower and toss it around. Add the potatoes, salt and mix it around.
- Then pour the spice mix, mix it around and let it cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour ½ cup water, give a toss, cover the pan, and let it simmer at medium low heat for 10 minutes.
- The potatoes and cauliflower must be cooked by now. Add the dried fenugreek leaves and cook for 5 minutes. If it gets too dry, then add a little water.
- Finally, add the chopped cilantro leaves and enjoy it warm with paratha.