These Zucchini Blossom Fritters are crispy, light and so addictive. You cannot stop at one! It’s the perfect summertime dish. You serve it as an appetizer, or as a side dish with your meal.
Where to get Zucchini Blossoms?
While making these Zucchini Blossom Fritters are super easy, finding zucchini blossoms are tough. You will never find it in stores. The only place I used to get it occasionally was at the farmers market.
This year miraculously, I found my green thumb and one of the first seeds I sowed was zucchini. It didn’t take a lot of effort and soon the plant grew and got filled with zucchini blossoms.
I would wait till mid-morning for the bees to pollinate the female flowers and then I would pick the male flowers to prepare crispy fritters.
What you need for Zucchini Blossom Fritters:
- Zucchini flowers (I used only the male flowers)
- I prepare the batter using all-purpose flour and rice flour.
- There is 1 egg, some spices, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper as per taste. (Egg is not mandate, you can avoid it too)
- I prepare the batter using soda water, but you can use beer or plain water too.
Zucchini Blossoms like most squash blossoms, are super short-lived. They look open gorgeous and happy in the morning. But by afternoon they start to wither. So, pick these at the right time and prepare these delicious Zucchini Blossom fritters
How to serve Zucchini Blossom Fritters
As an appetizer with a dipping sauce and drinks.
Pair it with a light summer salad, Grilled meat or veggies
Enjoy it with some daal and rice.
Cleaning the Zucchini flowers
Remove the stigma carefully and then using a small pastry brush or a tissue, clean the center gently to remove any extra pollen dust.
I even brush the outside gently and I don’t wash the flowers.
You can at this point even stuff the zucchini flowers before frying it.
Here is a recipe - Zucchini Blossom Stuffed with Poppyseeds and Coconut
You can also use these zucchini flowers directly in the zucchini fritters. But because these delicacies are unlike any, I will highly recommend taking the guilt of enjoying deep fried food away. Just go for it because these are delicious.
Enjoy the Zucchini Blossom fritters fresh, it’s a dish you prepare and enjoy right away.
Zucchini Blossom Fritters
- 10 zucchini flowers (I used only the male flowers)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup rice flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon paprika powder
- Salt and pepper as per taste
- ½ cup soda water/ beer or plain water
- Oil for deep frying the fritters
- Clean the zucchini blossoms by removing the stigma. And using a tissue or a paint brush, clean the center gently to remove any extra pollen dust.
- In a mixing bowl, prepare the batter by adding everything. Add the soda/water/beer little by little as you might need more or less. The consistency of the batter shouldn’t be too thin or thick. It should coat the blossoms.
- In a skillet heat enough oil to deep fry.
- Carefully dip the flowers one at a time to the batter and shake off any excess batter. Then gently slide to the hot oil. As you fry, do not over crowd the skillet.
- Fry for couple minutes on each side. When you are flipping, be gentle and watch out as there might be little splatter which happens due to the moisture in the flower.
- Take the fried fritters to a cookie wire rack and let it drain off the excess oil.
- Serve it hot and enjoy right away.