I have a perfect summer dish for you today! This Tomato Zucchini with basil pesto on thick Greek yogurt with a couple jammy eggs is refreshing, with a mix of sweet and savory flavors. The summer savory yogurt bowl looks so vibrant, and we enjoyed it with a few slices of sourdough bread. Absolutely delicious!
Savory Yogurt Bowl
I love any kind of yogurt based dish, especially during peak summer days. Jammy eggs with tomatoes on thick Greek yogurt is one of my go-to busy or lazy day meal.
Here is the link to the recipe of Turkish Eggs with my little twist, if you want to try - Turkish Eggs with Mustard and Curry Leaves
Currently, our refrigerator is crowded with zucchini from our garden and lots of pretty orange and red cherry tomatoes, also from our garden.
So every other days I am trying to make the best use of these summer produces. Last night, dinner was this Tomato Zucchini and Basil Pesto with jammy eggs on thick cold yogurt.
What I used in this Savory Yogurt Bowl
Cherry tomatoes - I would recommend using only cherry tomatoes as these are sweeter and cooks faster without releasing too much water.
Zucchini - If you can't find zucchini, use eggplant instead. Both zucchini and eggplant works beautifully with yogurt on this dish.
Pesto - My basil plant needed some trimming and so that went in too. You can use any greens to make this pesto and if you want to skip pesto completely, you can do that too. LINK TO PESTO RECIPE
Jammy Eggs - Jammy Eggs with yogurt is a treat for me. I absolutely love the combo! The creamy yolks add a mild richness when mixed with the cold yogurt.
Garlic - I cooked the cherry tomatoes and zucchini with some garlic, salt and pepper.
With these few basic ingredients, the dish comes together wonderfully, and it seriously can't get any simpler than this!
Can I use big tomatoes instead?
If you absolutely have to use big tomatoes, slice the tomato small and if the tomato is not too firm, then remove the seeds.
Cherry tomatoes have less water contents and so as you stir fry these with zucchini and garlic, it doesn't get too mushy.
How to prepare the Summer Savory Yogurt Bowl?
Start by making the pesto, if you are using it.
Next, cook the cherry tomatoes with zucchini and garlic in a heavy bottom skillet. Season properly and if you like heat, you can add some chili flakes too.
While that cook, prepare Jammy Eggs. I cook the eggs for 4 minutes to get the jammy like yolk texture.
Finally, whisk the yogurt in a serving bowl. Drizzle pesto on top and layer the cooked tomato and zucchini. Add the jammy eggs and don't forget freshly grated black pepper on top.
Enjoy as a dip with crackers or as a meal with a few slices of bread on the side. It will be great even with pita bread.
I truly hope you will give this dish a try because it's absolutely delicious, so refreshing and if you enjoy these summer vegetables than this Summer Savory Yogurt Bowl will become your go-to meal.
Savory Yogurt Bowl with Veggies
- 3 tablespoons pesto (recipe link in notes below)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium size zucchini
- 1 and ½ cup thick Greek Yogurt
- 1 tablespoons oil
- salt for seasoning
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Prepare the pesto using whatever greens you have in hand. Here is a link to my Basil Pesto Recipe
- Thinly slice the zucchini as shown in the video.
- While that cooks, in a sauce pan, add three eggs and pour enough water to cover the eggs. Place it at high heat and bring it to bowl. Once it comes to a boil, set the timer for 4 minutes. Then switch off and drain the hot water and pour ice cold water or ice cold water. Peel the eggs and keep aside.
- In a big serving plate, add the yogurt, season with salt and whisk to make it creamy.
- Drizzle the pesto, followed by the cooked tomato and zucchini.
- Slice the eggs and place on the yogurt.
- Sprinkle a little salt on the eggs and grate freshly cracked pepper all over.
- Enjoy as a dip with some crackers, or as a meal with artisan bread or pita bread.