Did you guys know that The Potato has been Grown in Space In 1995, potato plants were taken into space with the space shuttle Columbia. This marked the first time any food was ever grown in space. Got this interesting fact from here ! Wonder if they tried making some french fries with that .. lol !!!
So, Tikki is more like a Patty except it's made with mashed vegetables , mostly potatoes. It's a very popular type of snack .. prepared mostly in North Indian cuisine. As a kid I used to eat a lot of these Tikkis but from road side shop and my Ma was always against that idea. She was the clean freak type ( and I think she transferred that to me !! ). Yeah it's never too hygienic to eat from those shops .. but do you really care of these things as a kid ??!! So one such Sunday evening Ma served us a full plate of gorgeous looking Tikki with some ketchup. I took a bite and it was yuummmyy ... never bothered to ask her how she made it .. but that really didn't stop me eating from those shops either 😛 I finally asked the recipe from her at a much later stage 😉
Sending this dish for the event Veggie/Fruit of the Month: Potato guest host by Divya, original event by Priya.
This snack goes well even with some chill beer too but we like it best with our favorite ginger tea 🙂
Potato Bread Tikki
- 1 big size Potato
- 6 piece white soft bread
- ½ tbs baking powder
- 1 tbs ground pepper
- 1 tbs chilly powder
- 1 tbs cumin powder
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Boil the potatoes and mash them in a big bowl
- Out of the 6 breads throw away the sides of 4 breads and use the sides of 2 breads
- Mash the breads along with the potatoes
- If it's too dry , add little water from the water you used to boil the potatoes
- Now mix rest of the ingredients ( baking powder, pepper,chilly powder, cumin powder and salt)
- Take each portion of potato mixture and make a ball.
- Taking one at a time, gently flatten each ball into a round patty
- Keep them in a plate and refrigerate them for about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let them rest in room temperature for 15 minutes before you start frying them.
- Just before frying them, roll them in bread crumbs .
- You have to deep fry them but in low heat , so that it gets cooked properly even from inside and golden brown from outside.