This Eggless Tutti Frutti Cake is our current favorite cake. No egg, no butter, this one bowl Cake recipe is easy to prepare even if you don’t bake cake that often. I used a bundt pan but you can use a regular round pan too.
What is Tutti Frutti Cake?
Tutti Frutti cake is a popular tea cake in India. It is available in almost every other bakery.
These tiny colorful candies are prepared from raw papaya, that is boiled and then food color is added for the vibrant shade.
It is used very widely in India on ice cream, cookies and cakes.
Last year I had shared another recipe of Tutti Frutti Pound Cake but that was with egg. I don’t bake cake without eggs, but I do get a lot of request and so here it is!
I had a misconception of eggless cake being dense, but I think with the right proportion and technique it comes out amazing.
WATCH THE FULL VIDEO OF THIS EGGLESS TUTTI FRUTTI CAKE
What is the egg substitute for the Eggless Tutti Frutti cake?
Yogurt! Yep, good thick yogurt is a good substitute.
Key is to whisk the egg with sugar nicely so there is no lump and the texture is smooth.
Where to find Tutti Frutti
Easily available in local Indian stores. It is also quite easy to make at home, if you can manage to find the time to chop the raw papaya. Here is a link that might help.
What other flavors can I add?
Bake the cake with vanilla flavor.
You can add finely chopped apple with cinnamon powder.
Chopped pears will work great too.
Mixxed berries will work amazing too.
Couple Key Notes to Follow:
Whisk the yogurt with sugar and oil until it’s smooth and has no lump.
Once you sift the dry ingredients, do not whisk. Use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to fold the flour to the yogurt mixture until it all comes together.
Also make sure you coat the tutti frutti with flour so it evenly distributes in the batter instead of sinking at the bottom of the pan.
I didn't add any frosting, grazling or sugar dusting on the cake. I let those tutti frutti to show off and left the tea cake plain and simple. The texture of the cake was fluffy and it was tough to stop at one slice.
Eggless Tutti Frutti Cake
- 1 cup plain thick yogurt
- ¾ cup white granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 and ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teapsoon baking soda
- ½ cup tutti frutti
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Grease a round 6 inch cake pan or bundt pan with oil and brush it all around
- In a small bowl, coat the tutti frutti with 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- In a bix mixing bowl whisk the yogurt with sugar until it well combined.
- Pour the oil and whish again until it's smooth with no lumo at all.
- Place a sifter on the bowl and to that add the all prpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Sift the dry ingredients to the yogurt mixture and using a rubber spatula, fold the dry ingredients until it's well combined.
- Finally scatter the tutti frutti and fold it around.
- On the baking pan, if you are using bundt pan, add few tutti frutti at the bottom of the pan. Then spoon the batter all around and then level the top (watch the full video in my youtube channel to understand better)
- Bake in the middle rack of the preheated oven for 40 minutes .
- Let the cake cook down for 5 minutes, then release the edges with a butter knife before the releasing the cake from the pan.
- Enjoy it with a cup of tea or coffee.