Plum Cake is a simple summer cake with beautiful nutty crumbs from almond meal and juicy sweet plums nestled on top. The nutty almond flavor with a little bit of nutmeg and cardamom makes this a very tasty teatime plum cake. A tiny dollop of whipped heavy cream would be great on the side, but I just love this Summer Plum Cake as is, with a cup of tea.
How to prepare the Summer Plum Cake?
It’s a very simple plum cake recipe to follow. Definitely use fresh plum for the cake.
- You whisk he butter and sugar until it’s smooth and add the eggs to the mix.
- Then fold the dry ingredients (all-purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and salt) to the butter mixture.
- Finally layer the sliced fresh plums on the cake batter. Sprinkle slivered almonds and a little bit of sugar on the top.
- It’s a 6-inch plum cake and bakes for about 45 minutes at 350F.
Currently, my fruit basket is over loaded with summer stone fruits. Peaches, plums, mangoes, melons, nectarines, all so sweet and juicy delicious! Now, as much as I love fruits, I absolutely love indulging on fruitcake every now and then. This Plum cake came out perfectly delicious and it’s super easy to bake.
Is the Plum Cake recipe gluten free?
It is not a gluten-free cake. The cake batter had all-purpose flour along with the almond flour to prepare the cake batter.
Growing up, we had a big plum tree in our backyard. I still remember how the plums used to be juicy and gorgeous red. What I disliked the most about this fruit is the tart skin. The pulp would be so juicy and sweet but to reach there, we had to bite through the tart skin. Often, I would peel the skin off and discard but now with my matured taste bud, I actually enjoy that mild tart taste.
You can add a little amount of almond paste to the almond cake batter for more robust flavor.
Few fun facts about Plums
- Plum trees are grown on every continent except Antarctica.
- I always thought that Prune is a completely different variety of fruit, but it’s actually a variety of plum. Those varieties are specifically bred so they can be dried and used for prunes.
- Like most stone fruits, plum too contains a range of healthy factors like vitamins and minerals.
My Mom used to make jam with fresh plums, but I somehow always prefer the plum cake. What I like the most about the cake is that it’s not overly sweet. The tartness from the plum skin gives a lovely balance to the sweetness. I really like the texture of the cake, which is not too crumbly or dense. It is somewhere in between! It’s a lovely summer cake that you need to try.
Chili Chocolate Pudding with Grilled Peaches
Grilled Nectarine Rosemary Iced Tea
Plum Almond Cake
beautiful nutty crumbs and juicy sweet plums nestled on top.
- ½ cup butter (softened at room temperature)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 plums
- 1 teaspoon sugar to sprinkle on top
- slivered almonds
- Pre heat the oven to 350 F and grease a 6-inch round pan with oil or butter. Layer a parchment paper at the bottom of the pan.
- Whisk butter and sugar until it’s all mixed together.
- Add one egg at a time and mix it with the butter and sugar.
- Next, sift the all-purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and salt.
- Using a rubber spatula, mix the dry ingredients to the egg mixture. The batter will be quite thick.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and level the top.
- Slice the plum into wedges and press it on top of the cake batter. Sprinkle slivered almond and sugar.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until it’s baked through! Poke a knife or chopstick in the center of the cake and if it comes out clean, it’s ready.
- Let me cake rest for 5 minutes before you take it out of the pan.
Cheyanne @ No Spoon Necessary
This cake is absolutely stunning!!! Plums are one of my favorite fruits and I always end up eating them before I get to actually do anything with them. I'm going to have to buy extra at the market because I need this beauty in my life!!!
A beautiful cake, your pictures are amazing!
[email protected] Delight
Beautiful cake and beautiful styling. Loved the addition of nutmeg and cardamon, its festive 🙂
Thanks Akhila! These spices added a lovely flavor to the cake.
This looks really good, Kankana! I love eating juicy plums but so far only used them in a crumble.
I love fruits in crumbles. Makes such a great breakfast option. I hope you will try the cake though 🙂
I love how the fresh plumbs are layered into this cake. It looks absolutely delicious and I bet it tastes amazing!
Thanks a lot Neil 🙂 The cake turned out really tasty.
Ooooh I can't wait for summer to come to Australia for the stone fruit! I'm making plum cake, sor sure! I'm not looking forward to the heat though!
Summer brings such mixed feeling right LOL! I hope you get to enjoy lots of stone fruits.
This cake is absolutely GORGEOUS. Have never made cake with plum before but always relished it in chutney form. Now I am so tempted ..😍
YUM never made plum chutney but I totally should.
What a delicious little cake. I've never a cake with plums so I'm awed by this. Saw some beautiful plums at the market that would be yummy in this cake. Love the cardamom!
I hope you will try this 🙂 It's lovely flavorful cake
The plum cake looks fabulous! So are those photos, Kankana.
Thanks Angie 🙂
Kelly | Foodtasia
Kankana, this plum cake is irresistible! And so pretty! Such a beautiful cake and I love the small size. Perfect for breakfast and snacking!
Thanks Kelly! I always prefer baking small cake as we both try not to eat too much sweets and we are horrible as resisting such desserts LOL!
David @ Spiced
What a gorgeous cake, Kankana! I never think about plums, but they are such a delicious summer fruit. I love the way you just layered the plums on top rather than mixed them into the cake. This definitely needs to go on my to-bake list!
Thanks David! yeah I do prefer not to add in the batter, I feel that makes the cake too dense.