Crème Brûlée is probably one of those desserts that I will always order if it’s in the menu. Creamy silky custard with the burnt caramelized sugar on top waiting to be cracked. It’s a dessert so easy to make that one shouldn’t wait for restaurant visit to enjoy it.
What is Crème Brûlée?
Crème Brûlée is baked custard topped with granulated sugar which is blow torched to burn and caramelize. As you crack the crystalized crystal sugar with a gentle snap the creamy custard oozes out. At every spoon you get a little crunch from the burnt sugar with creamy custard! It is this contrast of texture that makes it Crème Brûlée so delightful and divine.
You need just 5 basic ingredients
- Heavy Cream
- Vanilla extract
Crème Brûlée is always prepared in individual size portions and a shallow ramekin are the best choice.
Steps to prepare Crème Brûlée
In a pan warm the heavy cream with milk along with sugar. Stir around to dissolve the sugar.
Whisk the egg yolks in a separate bowl. Add ¼ cup of the warm milk to the egg yolk and whisk as you pour. This will temper the egg yolk.
Then pour the egg yolk mixture to the pot. Add vanilla extract and continue simmering for about 5 minutes or until it thickens a little.
Strain the custard and pour it in oven proof individual bowls. (VERY IMPORTANT STEP)
The casted will be baked in the oven on water bath. Place the bowls on a deep casserole. Cover the individual bowls with an aluminum foil. Pour hot water to the casserole until it reaches half way through the bowls. Bake at 300 F for 40 minutes.
Then place the bowls in the refrigerator for few hours to set.
Just before serving, add the sugar on top and caramelize it.
How to Caramelize the sugar without a blow torch?
Once you cool the baked custard in the refrigerator for few hours. Sprinkle a layer of sugar on the custard and place the bowls on a cookie sheet. Place the cookies sheet on the top rack of the oven and broil for 5 minutes. Do keep an eye as you broil as it might take more or less time to caramelize the sugar.
Can you make Crème Brûlée eggless?
YES! Instead of egg, you can thicken the heavy cream by using corn flour instead. Eggless crème brulee doesn’t need to be baked.
You can pour the strained castard in the individual bowl and let it set in the refrigerator.
Add sugar and caramelize it before serving.
Crème Brûlée is a delightful dessert which a beautiful texture contrast between silky card and crystalized burnt sugar. I kept the flavor simple here with vanilla extract but you can use your choice of flavors here.
- Heavy Cream - 1 cup
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Sugar - 1/2 cup plus more to sprinkle on top of the baked custard for brulee
- Egg Yolk - 4
- Vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
- Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl
- Pour the heavy cream, sugar and milk to a pot and warm it in low heat. Do not boil and keep stirring to avoid the milk from getting burnt at the bottom of the pan.
- Once the cream is warm, switch off the heat and take out 1/4 cup of the warm cream. Pour it to the whisked egg yolk and as you pour keep whisking to avoid the egg from getting scrambled. Whisk the warm milk to the egg yolk to temper it.
- Then pour the egg mixture to the warm cream and turn on the heat to medium.
- Keep stirring for 5 minutes to thicken. Then strain the custard and pour it in 4 ramekin bowls.
- Preheat the oven to 300 F
- Cover the bowl with aluminum foil.
- The custard will be baked using water bath technique. So take a shallow baking dish and place the bowls in that dish. Now pour hot water to the dish until it reached half way through the bowls.
- Place the dish carefully in the middle rack of the preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- Once baked, let it cool down completely in the refrigerator for at least 4 to 5 hrs or overnight.
- Just before serving sprinkle sugar on top of the custard and using a blow torch caramelized the sugar. If you don't have a blow torch, place the custard bowls in a cookie sheet and place it on the top rack of the oven and broil for 5 minutes. Keep as eye as your broil as it might take more or less time to caramelize.
- Serve right away!
Can you make Crème Brulee eggless?
YES! Instead of egg, you can thicken the heavy cream
by using corn flour instead. Eggless crème brulee doesn’t need to be baked.
You can pour the strained castard in the individual bowl and
let it set in the refrigerator.
Add sugar and caramelize it before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 323Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 16gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 272mgSodium 70mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 0gSugar 5gProtein 7g
All nutrition information presented are intended for informational purposes only. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace, professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.