This Chicken in Red Wine Sauce is a flavorful slow cooked chicken dish similar to the French Dish, Coq au Vin! It’s a great dish for special occasion as it can easily be the showstopper of your dining table. You can either slow cook it on the stove top or let it cook in the oven. I have explained both the steps.
The very first time I tried cooking chicken red wine was probably 10 years back and around that time, I didn’t even know the French dish, Coq au Vin.
I first learnt the name when I cooked the same dish once again few years back for a friend.
My recipe of Chicken in Red Wine Sauce is very similar to French Coq au Vin except for few minor changes.
Chicken in Red Wine Sauce
I have prepared this delicious Chicken dish using CAKEBREAD CELLARS Merlot. Founded in 1973, Cakebread Cellers is the second California winery to achieve Napa Green certification.
They are also certified as Fish Friendly and participate in the Certified California Sustainable Wine growing program. Learn about their growth and journey in this website.
I used Cakebread Cellers Merlot to prepare the Chicken dish. The wine has a round aroma with flavors of blackberries and black cherry and a balanced acidity.
As the chicken, carrot and onion simmered in the wine and chicken broth, my entire kitchen smelled delicious and as you can see from the picture, the dish turned out gorgeous.
Steps to prepare the Chicken in Red Wine Sauce
- I used bone in chicken thigh which you can surely replace with boneless too. Start by marinating it for few hours in salt and pepper.
- Using little butter brown the thinly sliced mushroom and then take it off the pan.
- Now to the same pan add a bit more butter and oil to sear the chicken pieces. Rub little flour on the chicken pieces and sear it on the hot pan to get the brown color on it. Take it off once done (we are not completely cooking the chicken here)
- To the same pan add a bit more oil and cook the garlic, onion, along with salt, paprika. Then goes the carrot and cook it for a while.
- Finally, pour the Cakebread Cellers Merlot wine, chicken broth and mix it all around. Layer the chicken pieces and add a spring of rosemary or thyme.
- Lower the heat and let it simmer for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, add the browned mushroom and toss it around.
- Enjoy the dish warm with a couple glasses of the delicious Cakebread Cellers Merlot.
Cooking the Chicken in the oven
After following along till step 5, layer everything in an ovenproof dish, and bake for 30 minutes in a 375 F preheated oven.
The dish can be enjoyed with mashed potatoes, or rice or some crusty bread or simply salad. The key to the dish is to use a good quality wine for the best taste and flavor.
I will highly recommend Cakebread Cellers Merlot.
The dish might include a few extra steps but overall, I find it very easy to prepare the dish and flavor comes out robust with amazing texture.
Chicken in Red Wine Sauce
- 1 white onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 chicken bone in thigh and 2 drumsticks
- 8 oz white mushroom
- 2 carrots
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ cup red wine (I used Cakebread Cellers Merlot)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- fresh spring of rosemary or thyme.
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and leave it aside for 3 hours.
- When ready to prepare the dish, start by peeling and chopping the garlic.
- Peel and slice the carrot.
- Finely chop the onion
- Thinly slice the mushroom
- In a medium hot skillet or casserole, add 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil. Once it's starts to sizzle, layer the sliced mushroom and let it brown for 3 minutes then toss and continue cooking until the mushrooms are golden brown. Do not add salt in the beginning, instead add later once it's browned. Take off the pan once done.
- Dust the chicken pieces with flour.
- To the same pan add 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil and once it sizzles, layer the chicken pieces and let it sear for 3 minutes on each side. Take it off the pan when done.
- To the same pan, add the rest of the butter and oil and scatter the chopped garlic and let it cook for a few seconds.
- Then add the onion, season with salt, add the paprika and let the onion cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Scatter the carrots and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and paprika. Stir it around to mix it.
- Pour the wine and give a mix. Let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour the chicken stock, layer the chicken pieces along with the rosemary sprig and bring the heat to medium low. Let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked after 30 minutes, scatter the mushroom and toss it around. Taste for salt and add more if needed.
- Enjoy the Chicken in red wine sauce with your choice of sides.