I am not much of a baker but I do have a few cake recipes that I can completely vouch for. This one bowl olive oil chocolate cupcakes is one such recipe that I make quite often and has a lot of approvals from both adults and kids! The Olive Oil Chocolate Cupcakes come out fluffy and moist. The best part is that the batter makes exactly 12 cupcakes.
If you follow my stories in Instagram, you would know that our little fella Avyan loves to help in the kitchen and bake with me. I am still scared to bring him too close to the stove and so, I just stick to baking for now. This one bowl olive oil chocolate cupcakes happened on a Sunday afternoon. We were happily cozying up on the couch, watching a baking TV show until he starts asking for cake. He wanted to bake and sometimes these toddlers have the cutest way to convince their parents into anything. So, we baked!
Makes exact 12 Olive Oil Chocolate Cupcakes!
There is pretty standard chocolate cake recipe that I learnt from my Mom. She always uses oil in her cake instead of butter. Occasionally I go with olive oil because it adds a rich flavor but the cake still turns out light. I tweaked the same recipe a little bit and to my biggest surprise, the batter got distributed equally into 12 cups. I couldn’t be happier and the cupcakes come out so perfectly spongy. Since then, I have baked these cupcakes a few more times and it comes out perfectly every single time.
The frosting is again a pretty simple one. I was lazy to take out my piping bag and I just went with the icing spatula. For a much neater decoration, definitely use a piping bag. If you need to bake in a hurry without making a pile load of utensils to wash, do try these cupcakes, with or without the frosting!
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup oil
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup hot water
- rainbow sprinkles, optional
for the frosting
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 350F/ 180 C.
- Take a mixing bowl and crack the eggs into it. Sprinkle the sugar and whisk to mix it together. Then, pour the oil in the bowl. Place a sifter on the bowl. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt into the bowl. Whisk it to form a smooth batter. Pour the hot water and whisk again.
- Place cupcake liners on the muffin tin and pour the batter about half way through in each muffin hole.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the middle rack of the oven.
- Once baked, cool it down completely before you apply the frosting.
- For the frosting, whisk the butter until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Whisk it again to form a crumbly texture. Pour the milk and keep whisking until it turns into a smooth frosting (If you feel it’s not smooth enough, add a little bit more milk).
- Once the cupcakes are cooled down completely, apply the frosting either using a pipping bag or an icing spatula.
- Sprinkle some rainbow sprinkles on top, if you wish.