Healthy and not overly sweet, I love the simplicity of this Apple Oats Crumble and Apple Chips. You could top it with yogurt and serve for breakfast. Or, add some whipped heavy cream, drizzle salted caramel and serve it as a dessert. Soft sweet apples along with the crunchy oats and the sweet cinnamon apple chips makes for an amazing combination.
This recipe was sitting in my drafts for a long time now. I had completely forgotten about it until today morning. This is how crazy, busy life has been for the past few months now. Anyways, so before I get into complete spring mode, here is a quick throwback to fall flavors with apple.
Did you ever try making apple chips? These are such perfect snack bites and I am soon going to make a bunch load of veggie chips. You definitely don’t need it for the crumble, but it was a nice addition on top.
Key Tips to make perfect apple chips is to slice it very thinly and then slow bake in the oven for couple hours. I sprinkled little cinnamon powder too on top.
Apple Oats Crumble could be your Breakfast or Dessert!
- You have to choose firm apples so that when it bakes in the hot oven, it doesn’t turn into a mush. You want it to cook it down to soft but still retain some texture.
- I also feel peeling apple makes the apple too soft. So, I prefer to keep the peel on. Less work, so why not!
- You can use melted butter for the oats and flour mixture but using cold butter will give that crumbly texture as it bakes in the oven.
- Instead of all-purpose flour, I used almond flour which added a rich flavor. Also, a few pecans on top for the nuttier bite in between.
Recipe such as these don’t really call for a recipe. You can give your own little twist of flavors. So, go with the basic key notes and build your own fruit crumbles just the way you like.
Serve with a dollop of yogurt when serving the Apple Oats Crumble and Apple Chips for breakfast! But if you want to indulge a little bit and drizzle a little bot of salted caramel on top. Makes a great dessert too!
Did you try the Salted Caramel Recipe?
for the crumble
- 3 apples
- 1 tablespoon plus ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¾ cups old-fashioned oats
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ½ cup cold butter
- pinch of salt
for the apple chips
- 2 apples
- 1 and ½ teaspoon white sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- For the apple chips, slice the apple very thinly. Place it in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon powder. Pre heat the oven to 225 F. Place the cookie wire rack on a cookie sheet. Layer the sliced apple on the cookie wire rack. Bake for 1 hour. The edges will curl up and the slices will shrink in size. Depending on the thickness of the apple slices, you might need more time. Once it’s cooled down completely, it will get crisp. Store it in an airtight jar for 1 week!
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease a big 9-inch baking dish with a little butter.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the almond flour, old-fashioned oats, cinnamon powder, brown sugar and salt. Give it a mix. Grate the cold butter into the mixture and mix it around.
- Slice the apple in bite size cubes (discard the core) and layer it in the baking dish. Toss the apple with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Top the apple with oats and flour mixture. Level it out. Place the dish in the middle rack of the hot oven. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top looks golden brown.