A super simple white chocolate cake layered with mascarpone cheese! This was Arvind’s birthday cake this year. I baked two layers and used the rest of the batter to prepare cupcakes. The texture of the cake turned out quite pleasant and soft.
Birthday Cake is a big deal in our house and for several years now, we have been baking each other’s cake.
For a long time, I didn’t bake white chocolate cake. This year I had to try it once again and I’m super glad to find a recipe which I am going to bake on repeat.
My husband is a big fan of white chocolate and so on special occasions like his birthday I try to incorporate white chocolate in dessert or cake.
Baking with White Chocolate
As you might know that white chocolate is made from cocoa butter, solid milk and sugar. Because of the high content of butter in white chocolate the texture of the cake doesn’t turn out buttery and soft.
While preparing this cake you have to be careful about how you melt the white chocolate. I’ve melted the chocolate using milk on a stove top. You can do the same even in microwave.
Ingredients for the White Chocolate Cake
The ingredients for the white chocolate cake is pretty simple.
- Good Quality White chocolate.
- White Granulated Sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
Steps to prepare the Cake
Start by melting the chocolate and milk. You want to be careful at the step, so the chocolate incorporates in the milk properly. And let the melted chocolate cool down a little before you add it to the batter.
The next few steps are like any other steps to follow to bake a cake.
Whisk the butter and sugar until it’s completely combined. Then add the eggs and give a mix.
Next, you sift the flour, baking powder and salt and instead of whisking you just fold the flour to make the consistency of the batter smooth.
Keep in mind not to over mix the flour to the batter. Often overmixing will result in a hard texture of the cake.
KEY NOTE: To get a flat top of the cake, wrap the cake pan with a baking strip or alluminium foil. Here is the baking strip I use. You have to wet the strip before you wrap it around.
I have used this batter to prepare a cupcake as well as cake so depending on what you want to prepare you divide the batter into individual cake pans or muffin tins.
Mascarpone Cheese Frosting
I absolutely love mascarpone cheese frosting because it doesn’t make the cake overly sweet and the frosting is so easy to prepare.
All I do is wisk room temperature of mascarpone cheese with heavy whipping cream with some sugar and vanilla extract.
This white chocolate cake is super simple and super easy to prepare. It is not overly sweet as some might expect because only white chocolate is used in the cake batter.
It was a delicious cake and with the mascarpone cheese frosting it over all came together beautifully. My husband loved the white chocolate cake and saw that my kid who can get a little picky when it comes to cake.
Can you make this Cake Eggless?
I haven’t tried making this cake without egg, but I am definitely going to bake it once again very soon. And at that time, I will try to not add eggs and use yogurt instead which is typically what I use when I bake an eggless cake.
If that works out great that I am definitely going to update this post.
White Chocolate Cake
for the cake
- 4 oz white chocolate chips
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups white granulated sugar
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
for the frosting
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese (kept at room temperature for couple hours.)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoon white granulated sugar
- ½ teapoon vanilla
- In a pan pour the milk and the chocolate chips. Then let it simmer in low heat and contunie stirring until the chocolate melts. Leave it aside to cool down to room temperature.
Preheat the oven to 350 F
- NOTE: I made two 6 inch cake and with the remaining batter I prepared cupcakes.
- If you want to prepare only cake, then layer three 6-inch round cake pan with parchment paper. And brush oil on the side as well. If you want to prepare few cup cakes like I did then line 6 cupcake lines to a muffin pan.
- NOTE: To get a flat top of the cake, wrap the cake pan with baking cloth strips or alluminium foil.
- In a mixing bowl or by using a stand mixerm, whisk the butter and sugar until it fluffy. Then crack the eggs and whisk again to incorporate. Then add the melted chocolate that was kept aside to cool down and whisk again.
- Sift the flour and baking powder along with salt and vanilla. Fold the flour to the egg and chocolate mixture to form a smooth batter.
- Divide the batter into thee pans, if you are making only cakes. Or pour batter in two pans, filling half way through and the remaining batter pour on the muffin pans, with liners on it.
- The cake takes 40 minutes to bake at 350 F in the middle rack of the oven. The muffins takes about 17 minutes.
- Once the cake and cupcakes are baked, let it cool completely before you apply the frosting. You can bake the cake in advance and once cooled completely, wrap in a clear wrap and place in the fridge.
- For the frosting, just whisk everything (mascarpone cheese, kept at room temperture along with heavy cream, sugar and vanilla) until it's smooth and looks spreable.
- layer the frosting in between the cake and cover the crumb as per your liking. Top it with some fresh raspberry for the pop of colors.