Aromatic with the beautiful perfume of rosemary along with the nutty texture, this Rosemary Walnut Coffee Cake is a great summer cake that you must try. It’s a quick easy coffee cake that makes a round 8-inch cake.
I have always loved the combination of Rosemary and Walnut! And have often used it in cakes and cupcakes. Rosemary is such an interesting herb. Goes well with savory and sweet.
Currently, my rosemary plant has gone wild, and I had trimmed a lot of the stems and I gave been using this fresh perfumed rosemary in everything I can.
Rosemary Walnut Coffee Cake
Unlike other coffee cake, this Rosemary Walnut Coffee Cake doesn’t have a very thick layer of crumbs on top.
It is just a personal choice, and you can feel free to double the quantity I mentioned in the recipe for the crumb topping.
The texture of the cake is delicate and not overly sweet. The sour cream gives a mild tangy taste that goes so well with the flavor of rosemary.
Does this Rosemary Walnut Coffee Cake have coffee in it?
Coffee Cake got its name because traditionally it was served with coffee. Coffee Cake have a delicate crumb, and crispy strudel on top.
You can definitely add coffee to the batter but that is not always the case.
This rosemary walnut coffee cake has no coffee in it.
How is coffee cake different from Crumb cake?
I believe the only difference is that Coffee cake has thin layer of strudel on top and crumb cake has a thicker layer of strudel on top.
This Rosemary Walnut Coffee Cake has a very light layer of crumbs/strudels on top as compared to traditional coffee cake.
Size of the Rosemary Walnut Coffee Cake
The recipe bakes an 8-inch round cake.
How to keep the cake flat on top?
There are two things you can do to maintain a flat top on the cake.
- Use a cloth baking pan strip. Just wet it and wrap it around the pan. It maintains the heat overall and avoids creating a dome on top.
- Simultaneously you can use an aluminum foil too.
Can you bake this cake eggless?
I haven’t tried but I am quite sure it is possible as the recipe calls for sour cream. So, if you increase the quantity of the sour cream, it might work out.
If you try eggless version, please do let me know.
Do you use butter or oil in the cake?
I have baked this cake using butter and using oil too as a substitute. Both works great. In the recipe card below, I have mentioned the measurement of both.
The cake comes together very effortlessly as you can see from the VIDEO. A quick one bowl mix and it's ready.
If you are not a fan of crispy strudel on top, feel free to discard it.
Although, traditionally the cake is enjoyed with coffee, we absolutely loved it with tea. What can I say, we are tea loving people!
Rosemary Walnut Coffee Cake
- 1 stick (½ cup butter at room temperature or ¾ cup vegetable oil)
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 eggs (yolk and white both)
- 1 cup sour cream. You can use 1 cup hung yogurt too as a substitute
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 oz walnut (roughly chopped)
- Roughly 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
For the crumb topping
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer or just a rubber spatula, mash the butter to make it smooth.
- Add the sugar, mix it around to incorporate the sugar
- Whisk the egg to the bowl
- Next, whisk the sour cream to a smooth consistency
- Sift all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt) and this time don't whisk. Just fold using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
- Next fold in the chopped walnut and rosemary.
- Grease an 8-inch round pan and I like to also layer the bottom with a parchment paper.
- Pour the cake batter to the pan.
- Now for the strudel, mix the butter with sugar and flour and keep it crumbly.
- Layer the top of the cake with the strudel.
- I add some chopped walnut and rosemary on top.
- Wrap the cake pan with wet baking strip or aluminum foil.
- Bake the cake at preheated 350 F oven, in the middle rack for 45 minutes.
- Let the baked cake cool down for a while before you slice and enjoy.