This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MazolaHeartHealth #CollectiveBias Quick and easy One-Bowl Orange Cornmeal Cake is a delicious fluffy cake. I am a big fan of citrus cake and adding cornmeal to the batter gave a lovely texture. February is the Heart Health Month and keeping that in mind the cake is prepared with Mazola® Corn Oil. A healthy way to indulge! A clinical study showed Mazola Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. To learn more about this claim, visit Mazola.com.
What Ingredients go in Orange Cornmeal Cake?
- Mazola Corn Oil
- Orange Zest
- All Purpose flour
- Baking power and Baking Soda
The recipe makes one 6 inch round orange cornmeal cake!
It’s a One- Bowl EASY TO BAKE orange cornmeal cake
- All I did is whisk the wet ingredients in a bowl, sift the dry on it and fold to make the batter.
- Pour in a 6 inch round pan and bake at 350 F for 35 to 40 minutes.
I love using Mazola Corn Oil in cake as it gives a lovely crumb to it. Mazola Corn Oil is an all-purpose, cholesterol free cooking oil that is a smart heart-healthy* choice for your family. *See Mazola.com for more information on the relationship between corn oil and heart health. It has a variety of uses include baking, grilling, sautéing, stir-frying, or mixing up a marinade or dressing.
The cake taste amazing just as is but a little drizzle of syrup keeps the cake moist. And because my little one loves frosting on cake, I made a orange frosting and added a thin layer in between the cake. You can discard the frosting and serve the slice with a tiny dollop of soft whipped cream instead.
The combination of orange with corn meal is unbeatable and if you haven’t tried the combination before, you absolutely should bake this easy Orange Cornmeal cake. Click here for more recipes with Mazola Corn OIl.
Orange Cornmeal Cake
for the cake
- Sugar - ½ cup
- Eggs - 2 zest of 1 orange
- Mazola Corn Oil - ½ cup
- Milk - ½ cup
- All purpose flour - ¾ cup
- Corn meal - ½ cup
- Baking powder - ½ teaspoon
- Baking soda - ¼ teaspoon
- pinch of salt
for the orange syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- zest and juice of 1 orange
for the frosting
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter (kept at room temperature)
- powdered sugar - 1 cup
- milk - 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F Grease a 6 inch round pan with oil and place a parchment paper at the bottom of the pan. In a mixing bowl crack the eggs and add the sugar. Whisk to mix it smooth. Then pour the oil, milk, and orange zest. Mix it again.
- Place a sifter on top of the bowl and to that add the flour, corn meal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sift the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix it lightly to incorporate everything.
- Pour the batter to the prepared baking pan and place it in the middle rack. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- While the cake bakes prepare the orange syrup. In a bowl add the sugar, water and the orange juice. Bring it boil then simmer in medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Once the cake is ready, take it out of the oven. Once it’s cooled down a bit, take the cake out of the oven and poke it all around using a toothpick. Pour the syrup on top and allow the cake to soak up the syrup. Let the cake cool down completely before you layer the frosting.
- To prepare the frosting, whisk the butter using a stand mixer until it’s fluffy. Then add the powdered sugar, milk, salt and orange zest. Whisk again to combine everything. Slice the cake in half, and layer the frosting evenly. Garnish the cake with orange slices.