Drizzle a little ghee, top it with eggs, crack some black pepper on it and turn this Mixed Vegetable Savory Oatmeal into a healthy indulgence. This warm bowl of creamy oatmeal is sure to cozy you up inside out and keep your tummy filled till lunch hour. It’s healthy, nutritious and takes about 15 minutes to prepare.
Mixed Vegetable Savory Oatmeal
Our weekday breakfast almost always includes oatmeal, either sweet or savory and somehow, we never get bored with it. A bowl of oatmeal is not just satisfying, but it also helps us kick-start the morning. Every time, I shared a photo of savory oatmeal on my Instagram feed, I instantly received a few requests to share a recipe. So, here is our favorite version with assorted vegetables and mild spices!
WATCH THE VIDEO
What you need for this Mixed Vegetable Savory Oatmeal
assorted bite size cut vegetables, you can use the froze ones too
plain rolled oats
Half boiled or hard boiled eggs
Freshly cracked pepper
Finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
You can make your own version by using some greens or your choice of vegetables. You can also add more spices and heat, if you prefer. This is something I often make only for breakfast and therefore, I try to keep the spices very light.
Oatmeal is frequently associated with breakfast, I however regularly make this dish for busy weekdays for lunch.
Can you make this Oatmeal in advance?
Of course, you can make it in advance. The only thing to keep in mind is that as the oatmeal sits, it thickens ups. So, either keep it more watery or add a little hot water when you warm the oatmeal before serving.
I personally like to drizzle ghee and top it with egg for the texture and extra flavor, but you can always leave it out to keep it simpler.
Oatmeal is such a healthy blank canvas to work around your taste buds that you can play with your creative juices and make your own version. I have a few other versions of savory oatmeal that I whip up on busy days, and I will share them with you soon!
Here are other Breakfast options!
Mixed Vegetable Savory Oatmeal
- 1- tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup assorted bite size cut vegetables (you can use the froze ones too)
- ½ onion (finely diced)
- 1- teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 - cups plain rolled oats
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- Half boiled or hard boiled eggs
- Finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Place a heavy bottom pan on medium heat and drizzle the oil. When the oil heats up, scatter the cumin seeds and let it sizzle for a few seconds.
- Scatter the diced onion and season with salt. Stir around for 3 minutes
- Drop the vegetables followed by salt to taste, turmeric and cumin powder. Mix it and sauté for 2 minute.
- Add the rolled oats, mix it around and pour the water. Sprinkle the rest of the salt and bring the water to a boil. Then, bring the heat down to medium and let it simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the oats are cooked through and turns creamy.
- Check for salt and add any, if required.
- Finish it with ghee, cilantro leaves and fresh lemon/lime juice.
- Serve warm by topping it with boiled eggs, drizzle of ghee, fresh cilantro and some freshly cracked black pepper.
Thanks for sharing wonderful dishes. one thing shown for your recipe it is planned, technical and helpful for non related person that means newly person. Hotels of nashik is the restaurant chain providing services throughout the PAN India Level. Like hotels of nashik having such type recipe who have healthy foods, protein foods.
This is a very interesting recipe, but somehow it is calling my name, I must try this out!!
Have never had oatmeal this way...now I am really intrigued and it surely looks very comforting and delicious with veggies!