Continuing my baking marathon this holiday season, I have these Gingerbread Chocolate Mini Cupcake with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting for you. If I haven’t said it enough already, I will say it again that I love this sudden urge to bake that has gotten into me. I am not sure if this will last post holiday season but for now, the little fella is enjoying it fully. The Gingerbread Chocolate Mini Cupcake is so soft and perfect crumbs that you wouldn’t even need the frosting.
Ingredients for the Gingerbread Chocolate Mini Cupcake ?
The batter of this insanely easy gingerbread chocolate mini cupcake consist of few basic ingredients that includes butter, flour, sugar and egg along with cocoa powder.
The spices are are what makes it so good – cinnamon powder, ginger powder and all spice powder.
The batter includes cocoa powder so you got to add little hot water to the batter to get the perfect crumbs.
Ingredients for the creamy frosting:
- Cinnamon powder
- Vanilla essence
As you can see this gingerbread chocolate mini cupcakes doesn’t include some fancy ingredients. Just few warm spices to make it festive!
QUICK TIP I LEARNT – If you want to quickly soften a stick of butter, just place the butter stick with the wrapper in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds. It will come out perfectly soft and ready to make frosting.
These gingerbread chocolate mini cupcakes were actually a result of an accidental shoot.
The accident happened while shooting the video for the Christmas cake. I cracked the eggs, whisked the sugar and then realized that I totally forgotten to start the shoot.
The camera was just in screen view mode. Duh! So, I kept that mixture away, cracked two more eggs and continued with the video.
I was planning to use the whisked eggs and sugar mixture for pancakes or waffles or may be another fruitcake.
Then, I came across cute little Christmas theme mini cupcakes liners and I couldn’t resist. I knew exactly how to use the discarded whisked eggs and sugar mixture.
Of course, I couldn’t go with the exact measurements but I was hoping it would work. And it totally did! The cupcakes came out soft and moist.
Because my little fella loves frosting, I quickly whipped up a simple butter cream frosting with a hint of cinnamon and vanilla essence.
Well, thanks to that accidental move of mine, we got to enjoy these gingerbread chocolate mini cupcake! And because these came out perfect, I just had to share. Hope you will give it a try.
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- ½ teaspoon all spice
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup hot water
for the frosting
- ½ cup softened butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Whisk egg, butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Sift the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, ginger powder, cinnamon powder, all spice and salt) into it. Whisk it together to form a thick batter. Pour the hot water and loosen the consistency of the batter.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line mini cupcake pans with cupcake liners. Pour 1 tablespoon quantity of the batter into each liner and bake it for 10 minutes on the middle rack (If you are using normal size cupcakes, you need to pour the batter half way through and bake for 12 to 15 minutes). Check by poking a toothpick and if it comes out clean, the cupcakes are done.
- Let it cool completely before you apply the frosting.
- For the frosting, whisk the soften butter with powdered sugar, cinnamon powder and vanilla essence. Whisk until it’s smooth and airy (about 2 to 3 minutes). Pipe the frosting using a piping bag or just spread the frosting using a spatula.
I love to see your creation from my blog, so if you make this spice mixes, tag me on social media @playfulcooking.