Make this Pesto Heirloom Tomato and Cheese Quesadilla for those busy weeknights. It is such a quick meal and the sweet heirloom tomato definitely makes it extra special.
I always keep a packet Tortilla in stock for quick meals. It is my son's fav thing to eat in the form of wrap, roll or chips.
The combination of Pesto with Heirloom tomato is so delicious just on its own. So I had to turn it into a meal in the form of Quesadilla. Fuss free and so tasty.
Ingredients you need for this Pesto Tomato Cheese Quesadilla
Summer tomatoes - I used heirloom tomatoes, but you can use any other variety too. Just choose something firm so it slices neatly.
Pesto - You can use store bought pesto or prepare at home following this recipe.
Cheese - I used Mexican blend cheese, but you can use any variety. Fresh mozzarella would be a great choice too.
HERE IS THE VIDEO
Preparing the Pesto Tomato Cheese Quesadilla
Spread the pesto on one flour tortilla, then layer it with sliced tomatoes.
Spread a layer of grated cheese or sliced cheese on top, and then place the second tortilla on top.
You can prepare the quesadilla in a pan on a stove top, or use a panini maker.
I personally like using Panini Maker as it creates on those grill mark and I don't need to add any oil or butter on the tortilla.
It turns out perfectly crispy.
Once it is slightly cooled, slice and enjoy.
Sour cream dip or Avocado yogurt dip would be a great choice to pair these quesadillas. But we enjoyed it plain, without any dip at all.
The pesto and tomato tastes just amazing on its own.
Here is another easy Quesadilla recipe - Mushroom Egg Quesadilla
Adding Variations to the Quesadilla
- Add finely chopped jalapeño for that subtle heat.
- Instead of pesto, you can use chimichurri sauce too.
- Instead of Mexican blend cheese, try fresh mozzarella.
- Adding a couple slices of cooked bacon would have been nice.
- You can fire roast the tomato, finely chop it and then add that to the quesadilla for the smoky flavor.
When it comes to making a Quesadilla, I don't think there is any end to what you can add in the filling. It's all based on what you have at home and what you feel like eating that day.
The quesadilla also making a great option for school or grown up lunch box. Easy to make and pack and easy to eat too.
Tomato Cheese Quesadilla
- 1 or 2 heirloom tomatoes
- ½ cup pesto
- ½ cup grated cheese of your choice
- Slice the heirloom tomatoes and the slice in half if they are too big.
- Spread pesto on one tortilla, spread some grated cheese and layer the sliced tomato. Add more cheese on top and top it with another tortilla.
- Place it on the panini maker and let it cook for 4 minutes.
- Once done, give a few seconds to cool down and then slice.