Smooth, wholesome and cozy bowls of soup is what we need this month! This Roasted Broccoli and Fennel Soup is super easy to make and roasting the veggies just makes the soup tastier. Top it with some croutons, shaved parmesan cheese, a little drizzle of olive oil and dig in.
Staying in California, I probably shouldn’t complain about weather. Honestly, I can’t even imagine how you guys are dealing with the snowstorm in the east coast. Some of the gorgeous photos that you share of snow makes me want to pack and move east. But then, those storms scare me and I don’t miss snow any more. Out here, it’s mostly sunny with occasional series of shower. It’s still cold, which makes me want to pause my day with a comfy blanket and silly TV show marathon. Now, if only that was possible! So, we have comfy food to keep us warm and get going with the daily chores.
The soup doesn’t have the most gorgeous shade and may look plain. But it has robust flavor from roasting the broccoli and fennels with a lot of garlic. While the veggie was getting roasted, I boiled some potatoes with onion. Blending it all together made the soup creamy without adding any cream to it. Of course, you could add cream, milk or cheese, if you wish. It’s just one of those soups that is so good whole year round but on cold days like today, it feels extra special.
I cannot promise that kids will love this soup. Avyan loves broccoli but he was not too thrilled seeing the soup. He mostly ate bread after dunking it in the soup. I didn’t mind as long as some food is going in his tummy. At the end, he did announce that he didn’t like the soup much, even though he did finish it. My sweet boy and a tough critic!
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter
- ½ cup diced white onion
- 1 cup diced potato
- 2 cups vegetable/chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Layer the broccoli florets, sliced fennel, and garlic cloves in a baking sheet. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of oil, salt and pepper. Mix it all together and place on the middle rack of the oven.
- Roast for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, place a heavy bottom saucepan on medium heat and drop the butter. Once the butter melts, drop the onion along with the dried thyme. Sauté for 2 minutes and then, drop the diced potato along with the stock. (If the stock doesn’t have salt, sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt into the pan)
- Crank up the heat and bring the stock to a boil. Then, lower the heat to medium and let it simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are softened.
- Once the broccoli and fennel are roasted and the potatoes are softened, put everything in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Check for salt and add any, if required.
- Ladle the hot soup in the bowls. Garnish with fennel leaves, drizzle the remaining olive oil and sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top.