Some dishes get ready so quickly that you wonder if there was any cooking involved at all. Such recipes come super handy when you want something homemade yet, you are not in a mood to cook. I usually get into that kind of a mood on a lazy Sunday, especially if Saturday night includes a little too many glasses of wine. On such hangover mornings, I like spicy warm meal with a zing and then later, a nap perhaps. Well, getting a snooze would be close to impossible but this Shrimp and Mushroom in Ginger Lemon Sauce is always workable, if you have a few basic ingredients.
Couple months back, I saw this chef preparing a fish sauce with ginger and lemon juice blended together in one of the cooking shows. The chef used sole fish and it was a very simple meal. It looked too good and got me inspired. I started to visualize a vibrant looking dish with shrimp and mushroom in it. The idea stayed with me for a long time until few weeks back, when I finally decided to give it a go. Both mushroom and shrimp hardly take any time to cook, which makes this dish ready in less than 30 minutes. Perfect for those lazy days.
Make sure to get some rustic bread to soak up all the juices and wipe the bowl clean.
- 250 grams button mushroom, cut in halves or sliced thin
- 500 grams shrimp, head and skin removed plus de-veined
- 1½ inch fresh ginger, finely chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- handful of fresh dill, finely chopped
- Blend ginger along with lemon juice and strain the juice in a bowl to be used later.
- In a hot pan, add butter along with 1-tablespoon oil. Drop the mushroom, sprinkle salt and sauté for few minutes.
- Next, drop the shrimp along with the ginger lemon juice, paprika and sprinkle a little salt. Give it a stir. In a couple of minutes, the shrimp should be cooked. Once done, scatter the fresh dill and give a stir. Check for salt and add any, if required.
- Serve warm with bread on the side.
The cooking time might differ depending on the type of mushrooms you are using. Also, if you want the mushroom to be caramelized, it would need more time to cook.