Crisp Chewy edges with soft center, these M&M Cookies is my son's current favorite cookies. My husband loves to bake these cookies, and he prefers using ghee instead of butter, which adds a nutty flavor to the cookies. Don't miss the RECIPE VIDEO!
Soft Chewy M&M Cookies
These M&M cookies always brings a smile to my kid's face and his eyes twinkle with joy. He is a big fan of soft and chewy cookies, and my husband enjoys baking these cookies a lot!
The recipe is so simple to follow, and this cookie dough recipe is full proof. If you don't like M&M, add some chocolate chips instead or make chopped nuts. A quick mix and the dough come together beautifully.
WATCH THE VIDEO
Ingredients you need for the M&M Cookies
M&M - We use a mix of small M&Ms and the regular size. Add some M&Ms to the cookie dough and leave a few aside to press on the dough balls just before baking.
Butterscotch Morsels - We also added butterscotch morsels along with M&Ms. You can use chocolate chips too.
Ghee - Have you ever tried adding ghee to cookie dough? It really enhances the flavor and gives a subtle nutty taste to the cookies.
Egg - Egg helps to bind the cookie dough and give that lovely soft chewy texture we like in these M&M cookies. If you have dietary restriction, you can definitely skip, but it might change the texture of the cookies
Flour - We used all purpose flour, but you can try with whole wheat flour too. The taste and texture might be a little different if you use whole wheat flour.
Sugar - We use a mix of brown and white sugar.
Cornstarch - About 1 tablespoon cornstarch is added to the dough. It helps to create a crumbly, tender bites to the cookies.
Baking Soda - It's very important to add baking soda as it helps in creating that chewy texture. If you forget, you will realize that the cookies would taste hard and look flat!
NOTES to keep in mind:
If you are using butter instead of ghee, always use room temperature soft butter and not melted butter.
Whisk the ghee/butter for a while before adding sugar, to make it smooth and airy.
We used mini M&Ms to the dough and a few regular ones to add just before baking. If you use those large M&Ms then roughly chop before adding to the cookie dough. This is to assure the M&Ms are evenly divided in the cookies, and you get a bit of it in every bite.
Let the cookie dough cool down in the refrigerator for at least an hour before you bake the cookies. This ensures that the cookies will not spread out too much, and you will get that crisp edges too.
Avoid over baking the cookies. Over baking will take away that chewy soft center and make it hard instead. Once baked the cookies will feel soft, leave it aside in the hot cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to cookie wire rack to further cool it down completely.
Can you freeze the cookie dough?
YES! Like most cookie dough, these M&M Cookie Dough can be kept in the freezer for several months. So you can definitely make a big batch and enjoy all year round.
These M&M Cookies are a treat to enjoy with a glass of cold milk. It's become my son's favorite after dinner treat and sometimes evening snack too. The cookies are also fun to bake with kids!
M&M Cookies - Soft and Chewy
- 1 cup ghee
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup and 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon corn starch
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butterscotch morsels
- ¼ cup mini M&Ms
- ¼ cup regular size M&Ms
- Using the paddle attachment in your stand mixer, whisk the ghee for 2 minutes, so the texture looks smooth and the color may look a little pale too.
- Add both the brown and white sugar and whisk for 2 minutes.
- Crack the egg and whisk again.
- Next, sift the flour, baking soda and salt and whisk again to bring it all together.
- Mix the butterscotch morsels and mini M&Ms to the cookie dough. Now let the cookie dough rest in the fridge for an hour or 2. At this stage, you can even freeze the cookie dough, if you don't wish to bake the cookies.
- When you are ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 350F and line a cookie sheet with either parchment paper or baking silpats.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of the cookie dough and place it on the cookie sheet. Press a few of the big M&Ms to the dough. Make sure to keep the cookie dough balls 2 inches apart, as the cookies spreads on baking.
- Bake for 12 minutes, then take it out of the oven and leave the cookies on the hot cookie sheet for 5 minutes.
- Then transfer to the cookie wire sheet and let it cool down completely before you transfer the cookies to an air tight jar.