Refreshing Lemongrass, with zingy ginger and some fresh basil leaves, together with brown sugar, makes a delicious syrup which can uplift any drink. Pour some sparkling water and hydrate yourself or use it in a cocktail. It takes 15 minutes to make the syrup and then the Lemongrass Basil Spritzer is all about adding ice cubes, some lemon juice if you like and sparkling water.
Lemongrass Basil Spritzer
I had first made Lemongrass Basil Spritzer in 2013 and today when I made it again, I felt the need to give this old post and uplift with better photos.
Back in Spring my friend gave me a lemon grass plant and all these while I let it grow as I was worried if it will even survive. As of today, it's growing wild, and I have started to use the leaves to make my tea.
To prepare this Lemongrass and Ginger Syrup, I used the woody stalk and the leaves too.
Ingredients for the Lemongrass Ginger Syrup
- Lemongrass (both stalk and leaves)
- Fresh ginger
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Brown Sugar
Just 5 ingredients is all you need. You can definitely substitute brown sugar with jaggery or coconut sugar if you like.
Once you make the syrup, strain and let it cool down before you make the Lemongrass Basil Spritzer.
What substitute can you use for Lemongrass?
The refreshing flavor of the Lemongrass Basil Spritzer comes mainly from lemongrass. But if you absolutely cannot find it, use lemon peels or lemon leaves. But you have to be careful as some variety lemon leaves when cooked for long can give a bitter aftertaste.
Can you store the Lemon Basil Spritzer
A good syrup comes very handy as you can make in advance and store in the refrigerator for few days.
The spritzer uses sparkling water, so I would suggest that keep everything ready before you guests arrive and add the sparkling water later.
Even with plain water, it tastes quite refreshing.
Enjoy this summer drink while we are still enjoying the warm weather.
Lemongrass Basil Spritzer
for the syrup
- 1 and ½ cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 inch fresh ginger (pounded)
- 2 stalks lemon grass (roughly chopped)
- 10 fresh basil leaves.
for the spritzer
- lemon wedges
- sparkling water
- ice cubes
- lemon juice (optional)
- In a deep pan, add all ingredients for the syrup and bring it to a boil. Allow it to simmer at medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Switch off the heat, cover the pan and allow it to cool down completely. Once cooled to room temperature, strain and store it in an airtight bottle.
- To make the spritzer, drop some ice cubes in a glass, pour some syrup, followed by sparkling water and some lemon wedges. You can add lemon juice too.