I was reading Judith Jones’s “My Life In Food” and she mentioned that her mother banned garlic from the kitchen because it covered the natural smell of the food. Instantly, it got me thinking about my mom’s cooking style and how she uses garlic only when she is preparing meat. As for me, it’s almost like a routine I follow while preparing any savory dish – first smash couple of garlic cloves and then comes the rest of the flavor profile. I didn’t grow up eating ton load of garlic but then, how did I fell in love with garlic? I really don’t have any answer to that.
I believe that there is no right or wrong way of cooking. It’s all about one’s palate and individual style. Hence, no matter how much mom disliked my idea of adding garlic almost everywhere, I stood by it. Recently when I started experimenting a few dishes without garlic, I won’t deny that I missed the flavor but it’s also true that it tasted different – good different. I will save that story for some other day.
As for today, let’s indulge in garlic and I mean, lots and lots of garlic. This is a dish for the garlic fans.
What I love the most about this curry is that it’s fuss free, it doesn’t have a long list of ingredients and it cooks fast. It’s just what we all look for these days. Let me warn you that while preparing the dish, your house will smell of garlic and you might see yourself digging in the hot pan for a quick lick, just to stop yourself from drooling. I totally did that. Garlic breath, well yeah! But I am sure you can deal with it for a while. It might not be a great idea to prepare this dish for your date unless your date adores garlic.
It was not a problem for us at all. We ate a lot plus some more the next day. And then I thanked my friend, Prerna for making our bellies so happy. She is a rock star with Indian cuisines and I knew this dish would be a success too, just didn’t knew it would become my favorite.
Something tells me that Judith Jones’s mother might have changed her kitchen rule if she had tasted this garlic chicken.
Now tell me, are you are garlic fan?
- 1 lb chicken, boneless or with bones
- 15 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 green chilies, slit in center
- Grate 10 cloves of garlic and mix it with grated ginger, yogurt, turmeric and salt. Marinate chicken pieces with the mixture and let it rest for at least 5 hours. Keeping it overnight would make it more flavorful.
- Bring a wok or deep pan to medium heat. Add oil, green chili, bay leaves and rest of the garlic (smashed). Once the oil is infused, add onion and sauté until it turns slightly golden. Finally, add the marinated chicken and stir it to mix everything together. Allow it to cook at medium heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally in between.
- Taste for salt and add any, if required.
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and serve with steamed rice or Indian flat bread.
It’s usually a dry curry but if you like gravy, feel free to add water while cooking chicken and adjust salt accordingly.