This 6-inch round Halloween Layered Cake is flavored with carrot and cardamom and the creamy frosting is a simple cream cheese frosting. I then made some meringue ghost cookies and used that to decorate the cake along with some sprinkles.
Until last year, Halloween meant two things for my son, candies and superhero costume.
This year he wants Halloween treats that is as per him “spookily”. So, we started with meringue ghost cookies, Halloween sugar cookies and finally this Halloween Layered cake!
I sure did earn a lot of kisses, “love you Mumma” and “you are the best Mumma”!
Halloween Layered Cake
- Layered with three, 6-inch round cake
- Flavored with carrot and cardamom
- No butter just oil which gave a lovely crumbly texture
- Cream cheese frosting
- Ghost meringue cookies for decoration
The ghost meringue cookies are super fun to make and quite easy too. I had shared a detailed post on how to make meringue cookies. Here is the link.
You can follow the same recipe just shape these little wiggly and use a black edible color for the eyes and mouth.
Meringue cookies lasts longer when stored in an airtight jar in the refrigerator. So, you can make these in advance.
Carrot and Cardamom Layered Cake
The cake is one of my favorite winter teacakes. I ditch butter and use oil instead which makes the texture very fluffy.
The cardamom powder with the carrot is a brilliant combination and makes the cake very delicious.
For this Halloween Layered cake, I baked three round cake, 6-inch cake.
KEYNOTE: Cool the cake completely before you layer the frosting. I prepare the cake a day in advance and then keep it in the refrigerator.
Cream Cheese Frosting
It’s a simple cream cheese frosting, prepared by whisking butter, castor sugar and cream cheese. I added vanilla for flavor.
I am not a big fan of frosting in cake, but I prepare at times because my son loves frosting.
Compared to a typical layered cake, this one doesn’t have a lot of frosting in between the layers. But you can feel free to add more.
With all the sugar cookie decoration, ghost meringue cookies and sprinkles, this Halloween Layered Cake made my little one over the moon excited.
He loved the frosting and the cake and couldn’t stop munching on those meringue cookies either.
for the cake
- Eggs - 4
- Vegetable oil - 1 cup
- 1 and 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 1 teapoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teapoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cardamom powder
for the cream cheese frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter kept at room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese, kept at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teapsoon vanilla extract
- black food color
- sugar syrup/ fruit syrup/ honey mixed with water, or any jam (You need to add it on the cake before adding the frosting. This will keep the cake moist.
- Halloween Decoration for the cake
- Prepare the cake first as you need to cool it completely before adding the frosting. You can prepare the cake a day in advance too.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prepare three 6 inch cake pan, bt greasing it with oil or butter. Layer parchment paper atthe bottom to be on the safer side.
- In a mixing bowl crack the eggs and pour the sugar. Whisk to incorporate the two. Then pour oil and whisk again.
- Place a sifter on top and add the flour, cardamom powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Sift the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the dry ingredients to the egg mixture until everything in corporated nicely.
- Add the grated carrot and fold it once again.
- Then divide the batter into the three cake pans.
- To get a flat top on the cake, take an allumium foil and wrap on the side of the cake. Or use baking cake strips.
- Place the pans in the middle rack and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until when poked with a knife in the center of the cake, it comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool downa little and then remove it from the cake pan and place it in the cooling wire rack. Keep in mind to apply the frosting only when the cake has cooled down completely.
- Prepare the frosting by add the room temperature butter and cream cheese on stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Whisk until it's combined then add the vanilla extract and salt and whisk one more time.
- Next add the sugar little bit at a time and continue whisking at medium speed. The frosting should come together thick and creamy.
- Finally add the food color and whisk to get the rigth black color you are looking for.
- When you are ready to layer the cake, brush some sugar syrup on all the cakes. You can layer jam or just use warm honey mixed with little water.
- Once that is done, spread the frosting and layer the cake in between. Finally add more frosting around the cake and using a spatula smoothen it.
- Finally decorate it as per your choice.
- I prefer to keep the frosted cake in the fridge for a while before serving.
LINK To the Meringue cookie recipe - https://www.playfulcooking.com/dessert/how-to-make-meringue-cookies/