With the pungent flavor of nigella seeds, this Brussels Sprouts Potato Stir Fried is a quick healthy side dish. It pairs great with rice and daal or even plain with paratha.
Brussels Sprouts Potato Stir Fried
I love roasted Brussels Sprouts and that is what I often make. But this Bengali take on Brussels Sprouts is super quick, and is my current favorite.
It takes less than 30 minutes to prepare the dish and it’s absolutely fuss free.
We didn’t grow up eating Brussels Sprouts. It’s not available in India, may be now you can find in gourmet stores. When I came across this veggie several years ago, I instantly thought it’s some version of mini cabbage.
Well it was not but yes they are in the same family and if you like a dish that calls for shredded cabbage then you can try replacing that with shredded Brussels sprouts instead.
In Bengali Cuisine, a very popular dish we make with shredded cabbage is Bandhakopi Torkari. I took the same idea and made a much simpler version with Brussels Sprouts and Potato Stir Fried.
Brussels Sprouts are crispy
When I cook cabbage with potato, the cabbages starts to lose water, soften down. With shredded Brussels Sprouts, it was getting crispy much sooner and cooked down much faster.
The crispy Brussels Sprouts pairs so well with the potatoes.
Spices added in this dish
I kept this recipe super simple with just two spices:
Nigella seeds – Nigella seeds are mildly pungent, which works beautifully with potatoes and cabbage. So I used the same, and it works equally nice with Brussels Sprouts too.
Turmeric Powder – Well, almost all Indian dishes calls for turmeric, so I had to add that too. Pretty sure without that it would look quite bland.
You can definitely give it your own twist my adding more spices if you want. Add other veggies too, like carrots and beans.
The dish is too simple to call for a written recipe. But few weeks back when I had shared a quick video in my Instagram story, I received a lot of DMs asking me to save it in my blog for future reference.
So here it is, recorded and saved for you to try, this Brussels Sprouts Potato Stir Fried.
- 1 lb Brussels Sprouts
- 2 medium size potatoes (I used yukon gold)
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 green chili
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Clean the brussels sprouts and fine shop it. You can use a food processor to do the same or a fine sharp knife.
- Slice the potatoes into thick matchstick size. Depending on the variety of potato you are using, you can decide to peel or not.
- In a heavy bottom skillet on medium heat, pour the oil. Once it heats up, scatter the nigella seeds and let it sizzle for a few seconds.
- Scatter the potatoes, season with salt and add the turmeric powder. Stir it around and cook for 7 minutes.
- Add the shredded Brussels Sprouts and mix it around. Let it cook for 5 minutes. Add the green chili and stir it around for 2 minutes.
- Taste for salt and add more if needed.
- Enjoy it warm with rice and daal.
If you want to make it spicy, finely chop the green chili and add it in the beginning along with nigella seeds.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 193Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 0mgSodium 179mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 5gSugar 4gProtein 6g
All nutrition information presented are intended for informational purposes only. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace, professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.