I bake banana bread more often than any other variety of cakes or muffins. And I always like trying out a different version. This particular Brown Butter Banana Bread is my current favorite, and I love the nutty flavor brown butter adds to this bread.
Having a loaf of Banana Bread always comes so handy on busy weekdays. Especially if you are like me who loves breakfast food but doesn’t like to make it in the morning. So a pick-me-up breakfast is my anyway choice.
VIDEO OF BROWN BUTTER BANANA BREAD
Brown Butter Banana Bread
The recipe for this Banana Bread uses brown butter and brown sugar to add that nutty, rich taste. I also like to add walnuts to the bread. It gives a lovely crunch in between the delicate banana bread crumbs.
I love it with a cup of tea.
Ingredients you need for Brown Butter Banana Bread
Over ripe Bananas - Overripe Bananas gives the rich sweet taste which you will not get from firm just ripe bananas.
Brown Butter : Browning butter adds a nutty taste to the Banana bread.
Eggs : I add two eggs. Egg yolk adds flavor and the protein in the egg white helps to build the structure of the bread. The crumb turns out delicate and not dense.
Brown Sugar: The combination of brown sugar with brown butter is amazing. Brown Sugar adds a rich taste like molasses.
The usual dry ingredients : All purpose flour, baking soda and baking powder plus salt.
Walnuts : You can discard if you have nut allergy. Walnut adds a lovely crunch to the banana bread, and I always add it. You can use almonds, or pecans too.
How to overripe Bananas quickly
There are several ways to overripe bananas.
- Enclose the Bananas in a folded paper bag. Depending on how the weather is, it will take a day or two to overripe the bananas.
- The faster way is to overripe the bananas is by baking in preheated 400F oven for 5 minutes.
Making banana bread is extremely easy and fuss free. You don't need any special gadget. I make the batter in one bowl.
Steps to prepare the Banana Bread
In a heavy bottom saucepan, add the butter and slowly simmer it until it turns foamy and caramelizes to brown butter. While the brown butter cools down, prepare the batter.
In a mixing bowl, mash the banana. Then add the eggs and mix it to the mashed banana.
Next, mix the brown sugar and the cooled down brown butter.
Place a sifter and add all the dry ingredients.
Sift to the bowl and, using a rubber spatula, mix to form the batter.
Finally, mix the roughly chopped walnut
Grease a loaf pan with oil and dust a little flour all around the loaf pan.
Pour the batter and bake for 45 to 50 minutes at 350 F
PRO TIP: For even baking, cover the sides of the baking pan with baking strips or aluminum foil.
Let the warm bread cool down for 10 to 15 minutes, before you slice.
Brown Butter Banana Bread is a fantastic busy weekday breakfast or after school snack. It's amazing with a cup of tea or coffee. I hope you will give this recipe a try.
Brown Butter Banana Bread
- 3 Overripe Bananas
- 1 stick butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brown butter
- 1 and ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- handful of walnut (if using)
- oil to grease the pan
- little flour to dust on the pan
- In a heavy bottom pan add the butter and cook it for 5 to 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Once the butter is brown, keep it aside to cool down.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the bananas.
- Crack the eggs and whisk to mix
- Add the brown sugar and the cooled brown butter and mix again.
- Place a sifter on the bowl and to that add the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Sift the dry ingredients and then, using a rubber spatula, fold it to the wet ingredient.
- Roughly chop the walnut (if using) and fold it to the batter.
- Prepare the loaf pan by spraying oil to grease the pan, and then dust a little flour all around.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Add the batter to the prepared pan and tap the pan a few times.
- This step is optional - Wrap the sides of the pan with aluminum foil or baking strips. It helps to bake the bread evenly all round.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Check by poking a tooth pick in the center. If it comes out clean, it's done.
- Allow the Banana Bread to cool down for 5 minutes, then release it from the pan.
- Let the Banana bread cool down further, before you slice and enjoy.