Drizzle a little ghee, top it with eggs, crack some black pepper on it and turn this Mixed Vegetable Savory Oatmeal into a healthy indulgence. This warm bowl of creamy oatmeal is sure to cozy you up inside out and keep your tummy filled till lunch hour. It’s healthy, nutritious and takes about 15 minutes to prepare.
Our weekday breakfast almost always includes oatmeal, either sweet or savory and somehow, we never get bored of it. A bowl of oatmeal is not just satisfying but it also helps us kick start the morning. Every time, I shared a photo of savory oatmeal on my Instagram feed, I instantly received a few requests to share a recipe. So, finally here is our favorite version with assorted vegetables and mild spices!
You can make your own version by using some greens or your choice of vegetables. You can also add more spices and heat, if you prefer. This is something I often make only for breakfast and therefore, I try to keep the spices very light.
Can you make this in advance?
Of course, you can make it in advance. The only thing to keep in mind is that as the oatmeal sits, it thickens ups. So, either keep it more watery or add a little hot water when you warm the oatmeal before serving.
I personally like to drizzle ghee and top it with egg for the texture and extra flavor but you can always leave it out to keep it simpler. Oatmeal is such a healthy blank canvas to work around your taste buds that you can play with your creative juices and make your own version. I have a few other versions of savory oatmeal that I whip up on busy days and I will share them with you soon!
- 1- teaspoon oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup assorted bite size cut vegetables, you can use the froze ones too
- 1- teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1- cup plain rolled oats
- 3 cups water
- Half boiled or hard boiled eggs
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Place a heavy bottom pan on medium heat and drizzle the oil. When the oil heats up, scatter the cumin seeds and let it sizzle for a few seconds.
- Drop the vegetables followed by ½ teaspoon salt, turmeric and cumin powder. Mix it and sauté for 1 minute.
- Scatter the rolled oats, mix it around and pour the water. Sprinkle rest of the salt and bring the water to a boil. Then, bring the heat down to medium and let it simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until the oats are cooked through and turns creamy.
- Check for salt and add any, if required.
- Serve warm by topping it with boiled eggs, drizzle of ghee, fresh cilantro and some freshly cracked black pepper.